• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 440 identification

68gtx

Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 68 440 core engine but on the block along with the casting number it doesn't have 440 cast in it . I have a 71 440 block and it shows there . The only place it says 440 is on the I'd pad at the front . It says d 440. The data code is 1/24/68. Is this normal?

Yes. The fact it has the pad at all indicates it is an RB motor. I suppose it could be a 413-426, but I doubt anyone would go through the trouble of faking that.

According to the other website MOPAR T's a 66-72 440 block carrys the casting # of 2536430 there is other info there also.

Also if you look at the top of the bell housing flange near the oil galley pipe plugs you should see a partial VIN stamped there. In 68 they started stamping VIN's in that location before moving to a machined surface near the pan rail. The VIN should start with an 8 then a letter then 6 numbers. Just more indication it's a 68 engine.

I wonder if I can get a little assistance. This is on my 1970 GTX front engine pad, thanks
upload_2019-10-16_16-33-39.jpeg

I wonder if I can get a little assistance. This is on my 1970 GTX front engine pad, thanks
View attachment 851079

J440= '73 440
Am I wrong guys or do those F and HP stamps not look right. Like a different font than what the factory typically used?
The 'J440' looks factory.

J440= '73 440
Am I wrong guys or do those F and HP stamps not look right. Like a different font than what the factory typically used?
The 'J440' looks factory.
They look different... and I'm surprised they had an HP engine in 73.

I didn't think they did..maybe I'm wrong?
Unfortunately it looks like someone got stamp happy at some point in time.
@Dave C if you've got a '70 GTX you're worlds ahead regardless of what year engine is in it. Hows 'bout some pics of your car? We like pics:)

I noticed that also. Actually if you look at the "font" of the F and the HP, they look the same. It looks to me like the "J" is out of place. One guess is that the engine was rebuilt / replaced when it was under warranty and they added that at that time.

I didn't think they did..maybe I'm wrong?
Unfortunately it looks like someone got stamp happy at some point in time.
@Dave C if you've got a '70 GTX you're worlds ahead regardless of what year engine is in it. Hows 'bout some pics of your car? We like pics:)
Will do!

Looking at buying a 68 440 core engine but on the block along with the casting number it doesn't have 440 cast in it . I have a 71 440 block and it shows there . The only place it says 440 is on the I'd pad at the front . It says d 440. The data code is 1/24/68. Is this normal?

I have the original 440 in my 68 Charger and what you have sounds correct. The engine casting code is 2536430. The only place that it says 440 is on the front pad which is D440. My casting date is 1.16.68.

Pan rail should have a plant stamp PT is Trenton. second letter, "P" for premium fuel "S" special -R/T

440vin68.jpg Vin#.jpeg

We have a 73 block stamped 440HP. I can't recall what it looks like though. I could post a picture for the thread when I can.

Typically. That HP in the photo does not look legit to me.

Here's one from the "nobody's perfect" dept. This is my numbers matching 440. Looks like someone thought this was a 383 at first and realized it needed a slight correction.

20190406_185911.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back