• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 440 plug wire routing

Macdon221

Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
Hey All,

Please don’t beat me up. Lol. I am relatively new at this MOPAR game but love restoring things like the way it was. Or close as possible. I have traditionally been an airplane/motorcycle guy...but forging into the mopars.

I am looking for insight on the correct, or most accepted way of routing the plug wires through the plug wire brackets on the engine. I have a few brochures/original literature home that has engine photos...and surprisingly they match each other. They are not the same photo. But can only see the top brackets and not the bottom of the passenger side or drivers side. See photos below of the vintage literature.

I have combed the FSM but see nothing.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

3D4BA5F4-AB99-4BE3-AF5B-455DE424EA2B.jpeg 5081C6FB-400E-46D2-81D5-ADB37B3768A2.jpeg

So it’s the plug wire routing though the “P” bracket on the ‘68 that I am looking for. Great info and diagrams there BeepBeepRR...very appreciative.

Any photos of proper wire routings (what wire goes in each slot) through these brackets on a 68 440?

The top pictures of the actual engine should be pretty close over the years.. I was not alive when these cars were built so ya kinda have to rely old the older gents and the photos. But the pictures above should be relative because they only fit into the notches in order. If you overlap then you have a mess. You can see on 1,3,5,7 the go from 7 to bottom to 5 next slot up and so on it just makes sense. If you took number 7 wire and stuck it into the second slot up the wires would overlap and look goofy.

Assuming this is the bracket you are talking about. It looks like number 2,4,6 would be the wires that go into the bracket, since 8 goes over the valve cover and around to the rear.

And your firing order on your cap would be 18436572 Only one of the wires would be on the valve cover side of that bracket and the other 2 would come from the water pump side of the distributor.

pbracket.png
pbracket.png

Last edited:
When you route the wires off of the cap in order individually. Just by process of elimination based on length of each wire you can figure it out.

Here's a few of mine after the rebuild. Maybe this will help

20190625_201944.jpg 20190625_201924.jpg

One from the drivers side

20190625_201905.jpg

Maybe I have mine wrong, but it was my understanding that the front "L" bracket was to hold the wires OFF the block, not against it??!!
beerestoration2017 760.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe I have mine wrong, but it was my understanding that the front "L" bracket was to hold the wires OFF the block, not against it??!!
There is very little room between the L bracket and the rear of the power steering pump reservoir. This keeps the wires neatly behind the pump, while directly inline with the wire loom nearest the ID pad.

Okay, I figured like every other bracket it was to keep the wires OFF the block and not get heated and go sparky sparky..

Auto Transport Service
Back