• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68/69 Charger headlight actuator test question

tmaleck

Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
I have 2 actuators that seem to work OK, but don't hold vacuum when in the closed position. They do hold vacuum in the open position. Is this right? Seems it should hold on either way. Any thoughts?
Tim

Not 100% sure, but I think that is correct. When the headlights are on on my Superbird, the lights stay open. When the lights are off and the car is off, after a period of time the headlight will pop up slightly due to the spring tension on the mechanism. So I assume that vacuum is not holding in the closed position. They are the same actuators as the 68-69 Chargers, just different operating mechanisms. The 68-69 Chargers have no spring assist on the mechanisms.

sounds like the vacuum lines are reversed.If the canister has a tight fit, and no vacuum leak, they will close tight, and you can't easily force them open. when the engine is off, lights turned off, they stay closed. Also look at the switch, vacuum hoses go there, and the fittings could be loose.

True I may have a slight vacuum leak, but my lines are not reversed, but that means that the actuators themselves don't hold vacuum in the closed position. I can turn the lights on on my Superbird and cut the engine off, then disconnect the battery and come back a week later and the light will still be open. This is not the case when the headlights are closed, they will always come up about a inch and a half in a day or two.

It may not matter, but I'm using my Mity Vac hand pump to apply vacuum, not a running engine. A slight leak may be OK, but I can't tell how big the leak is, given the small displacement of the test pump.

Tim

Thanks, it really doesn't matter as most of the Superbirds I have seen sitting for any length of time do the same thing. The headlight doors and assembly are quite heavy for the small actuator to lift, so there is a spring assist to help lift them. Vacuum leaks down over time, weather it's the canister, lines, actuator, or the switch. I really don't care as I am satisfied with my car. All I was trying to do was relate that the down side of the actuator holding vacuum as well as the up side is not that important. A 68-69 Charger headlight doors don't weigh that much and as long as they stay up good there is no real problem.

True I may have a slight vacuum leak, but my lines are not reversed, but that means that the actuators themselves don't hold vacuum in the closed position. I can turn the lights on on my Superbird and cut the engine off, then disconnect the battery and come back a week later and the light will still be open. This is not the case when the headlights are closed, they will always come up about a inch and a half in a day or two.

When they were new, they would hold vacuum and you'd get a cycle or two of the doors with the engine off, but after 50 years, you've most likely either a leak in the vacuum can or leaking past the vacuum switch that piggybacks the headlight switch. However, as long as they work when the engine is running, that's all that matters.

I found the same problem with mine, slight vacuum leak on one of the actuators. Looking into replacing both actuators since they're 50 years old but got butt hurt when I saw the price for the pair.... I went with the electric actuators for a few dollars more. Now no worries :thumbsup: a vacuum leak is still a vacuum leak..just sayin

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back