• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68/69 power steering hose confirmation

pearljam724

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
Would someone be so kind to confirm the correct low pressure return hose size that is clamped onto a 68/69 power steering valve body to pump. I believe it’s 11/32, but I’m not positive. I’m going to try using a hydraulic hose and a correct style squeeze clamp. Rather than a fuel hose and screw down clamp to stop it from leaking.

There is like very little pressure on return line so where is the leak?
Pic

Use your open end wrench on the nipple to see the size of hose needed. Don’t use it on the bulge on the end.

I agree with 11/32 size. The fuel hose often times swells and leaks.

Use your open end wrench on the nipple to see the size of hose needed. Don’t use it on the bulge on the end.

I agree with 11/32 size. The fuel hose often times swells and leaks.
Good tip.

There is like very little pressure on return line so where is the leak?
Pic
Definitely, the hose where it connects to valve body is where it leaks. I put a new fuel hose on it and I think I tightened the clamp too tight. I can see it from under car that it’s definitely coming from that hose end. I originally thought the valve body o rings were leaking. Not saying they’re not. But majority of leak is coming from hose being tightened too tight I believe. I can’t win with this power steering leaking. Replaced, pump twice.

Last edited:
What make of pump is it?
I can’t remember which is which. I switched to the square looking one from the one that looks bottle shaped. Regardless, it leaks from hose end at gear box.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back