• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68-69 Road Runner hood clearance w/RPM intake

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
I'm starting to get serious about building a 451 motor for my 69 RR and need some opinions on hood clearance from you that have run this setup. I picked up a Edelbrock RPM intake off Craiglist and will be using a 1/4" spacer under a Holley 770 Street Avenger carb. I just went through a major headache with my Charger, 440, and a RPM getting an air cleaner that would work. Ended up with a 2 5/16 K&N, K&N filtered top, and a 1.25" drop base with no hood pad, and having the entire choke horn milled off. From the measuring I did yesterday, it looks to be just about as bad as my Charger setup was. Should I stick with the RPM, or is there a better solution out there that I don't know about?

I am running a 451 in my 69 RR, using a Holley Street Dominator intake, 1 inch spacer, and a 440 air filter for an air grabber hood which mine has. The hood won't close all the way. But it closes if I use a Holley round air filter, or if I raise the hood an inch where it bolts on. I think it would be just right if I took the spacer off. I also have a Performer RPM intake I would like to try on the motor. Hood clearance will be even less if I put it on there. So usually I run without the hood. Thats ok because I am working on the carb jetting, and usually just driving back and forth to the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have an air grabber or stock hood?

- - - Updated - - -

The stock hood has more clearance because the air ducting for the air grabber isn't there.

I am running a 451 in my 69 RR, using a Holley Street Dominator intake, 1 inch spacer, and a 440 air filter for an air grabber hood which mine has. The hood won't close all the way. But it closes if I use a Holley round air filter, or if I raise the hood an inch where it bolts on. I think it would be just right if I took the spacer off. I also have a Performer RPM intake I would like to try on the motor. Hood clearance will be even less if I put it on there. So usually I run without the hood. Thats ok because I am working on the carb jetting, and usually just driving back and forth to the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have an air grabber or stock hood?

- - - Updated - - -

The stock hood has more clearance because the air ducting for the air grabber isn't there.

I have a stock hood with the underhood pad. I'm sure I will have to remove the pad if I end up using the RPM. How come I cant find a Holley sd for a 'B' engine? I only see them for the 440's.

What do you mean by Holley sd? The 383 and 440 oval air filter bases are available from PG Classic car parts out of Canada. They are made of metal, not fiberglass as some are.

I had to use a low profile air cleaner with my RPM manifold.

F28998886.jpg

What do you mean by Holley sd? The 383 and 440 oval air filter bases are available from PG Classic car parts out of Canada. They are made of metal, not fiberglass as some are.

Holley Street Dominator. It is a single plane low intake.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to use a low profile air cleaner with my RPM manifold.

View attachment 194064

I tried that same set up on my Charger, but got a little more clearance with the K&N that I eventually went with.

The Holley S D Intake used to be made for both low and hi deck big blocks. Now I think they only produced for the hi deck block. You would need to find a used one for a low deck. They are out there

I solved the same problem with my 1971 Demon by installing 1/2" thick K-member spacers. Effectively, they are just 2" x 2" squares of 1/2" thick steel with a hole drilled in the center. It took me about an hour to install them. Worked like a champ.

Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back