• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68-69 Steering Column Lower Collar Question

Toxic Orange 493

Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
I am in the middle of rebuilding my steering column along with converting it from column shift to floor shift. My question is on the new lower collar for the floor shift. The old on that I removed for the column shift had a small Allen set screw that secured it to the inner tube. The new collar does not have anything to secure it.

Column shift collar with set screw.
58C1C29B-9624-4A4D-B238-07602011956D.jpeg

New collar without set screw.
1DE36432-750E-47EF-9C8D-E8C5237E5169.jpeg

Should there be something to secure the floor shift colllar? I am worried it will just rattle around and be annoying without something.

That set screw locked the collar to the automatic shift tube not the actual column.

That set screw locked the collar to the automatic shift tube not the actual column.
I agree.

I am just trying to figure out how this one gets held in place. Does it really just get sandwiched between the ring inside the steering column and the upper collar? Before I paint everything, I want to make sure I have all the necessary parts and don't have to add parts, holes, etc later.
Thanks!

It does not get physically connected there should be a wavy spring washer between it and the upper collar to hold it in position.

I agree.

I am just trying to figure out how this one gets held in place. Does it really just get sandwiched between the ring inside the steering column and the upper collar? Before I paint everything, I want to make sure I have all the necessary parts and don't have to add parts, holes, etc later.
Thanks!
Hi there im in the same situation its got me bugged i have the sane issue looking for photos on how to assemble the lower column to the inner shaft/ and upper column can any one help for a 68 b nody charger auto thankyou kindly new to site ,mopar or no car

Auto Transport Service
Back