• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68-70 Convertible Spare Tire Location

PurpleBeeper

Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Isn't this spare tire location wrong on a 70 Road Runner convertible? I thought they went over on the passenger side of the trunk on 68-70 convertibles and this is the hardtop location, correct? Am I dreaming?
upload_2017-10-12_21-16-26.png

You are not dreaming.... The spare on all 68-70 b body convertibles go on the right side of the trunk. I just have my phone at the moment, but I will post a pic later when I am at my pc.

Here you go.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Right side of trunk. I don't think the top would go all the way down with the spare in the center, would hit the tire.

On the right side, I believe the correct truck lid sticker shows the location of the spare.

00r0r_7p1yPWANQ80_600x450.jpg

I know this is an old thread but it did not have this info in it, I am about to weld in the trunk mount in a 70 coronet convertible that was removed by the previous owner. Does any one have the measurements to locate the bracket in the trunk pan? Any help would be much appreciated....

If I bought a trunk mat, would it have a hole in it for the tire tie down? Thanks for all the positives and welcomes regarding my First post!

Great pictures 5w.... what is crazy is the mounting bracket is different and on an angle. I do see that welds that attach it are factory welds, so I believe it to be correct. Is that a plymouth 68? I have the original bracket cut from the car when disassembled which matches 70netRT's picture. I have a 70 coronet conv. I did order up a quality re-pop trunk mat for the car. I want to make sure that if there is a pre die-cut hole in it, my bracket will line up with it. The last OEM style trunk mat I got for my charger was die cut and the shop that put the spare tire mounting bracket did not install it in the correct spot in the charger (got it this way). Surly want to avoid making this mistake myself .....

Yes, that particular car is a '68 Sport Satellite convertible. I would imagine judging by how the factory did most things, the location of the bracket from one car to the next depends on how hungover the guy was that welded it on that day.

Where did you buy the trunk mat ? I have yet to see one for a convertible, but admittedly have not looked in a while.

If you're concerned about alignment with the cut out, I'd wait until the mat showed up and use that as a template (providing the cut out is in the correct general area). Be sure to test fit the tire before final welding.

Auto Transport Service
Back