• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68-70 Non A/C Heater Core nipples to short...

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
So how many have had to deal with this? I first experienced it in the 90's replacement heater cores with the pipe/nipples probably 3/4" shorter than the original, at first you rarely even notice it, but when you've reinstalled the heater box & discover that the nipples only protrude about 1/2" through the firewall & when you slip the hoses on the hose clamp has to be right up to the firewall to have any hope of success....

Like I said, first noticed it in the 90's & having just done another heater core I see the problem still exists....

My solution? I cut the nipples off the old heater core & splice them to the new core.....
I cut the tubes saving as much of the straight section as I can then I cut the ridge off the tubes of the new heater core.... Those tubes are exactly the same O/D as 1/2" copper pipe so 1/2" solder couplers work perfectly.... Clean everything well, flux & solder it up...

IMG_4702.JPG

So how many have had to deal with this? I first experienced it in the 90's replacement heater cores with the pipe/nipples probably 3/4" shorter than the original, at first you rarely even notice it, but when you've reinstalled the heater box & discover that the nipples only protrude about 1/2" through the firewall & when you slip the hoses on the hose clamp has to be right up to the firewall to have any hope of success....

Like I said, first noticed it in the 90's & having just done another heater core I see the problem still exists....

My solution? I cut the nipples off the old heater core & splice them to the new core.....
I cut the tubes saving as much of the straight section as I can then I cut the ridge off the tubes of the new heater core.... Those tubes are exactly the same O/D as 1/2" copper pipe so 1/2" solder couplers work perfectly.... Clean everything well, flux & solder it up...

View attachment 868401
...that was a perfect solution. Ran into that myself a few years back.

Had same problem 13 years ago on my 66. took old core to radiator shop that sold me the new core, they took old tank off and put it on new core.

Had same problem 13 years ago on my 66. took old core to radiator shop that sold me the new core, they took old tank off and put it on new core.

With all the plastic radiators these days real radiator shops are getting hard to find...

Auto Transport Service
Back