• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Cahrger 383 temp gauge problems

Cyty Slykers

Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
I have a brand new temp sensor and all new oem gauges but my temp gauge constantly reads 240.... Help! Lol

What does the laser temp gun read?

Sounds like a lack of a good ground. Does your engine have a good ground? How about the dash? Lack of a good ground causes most of the electrical problems in our old cars.

I was just about to post the same problem I have a 69 charger brand-new gauge brand-new thermostat brand-new engine harness gauges reading fine until I sent it into the shop to get some repairs done when I got it back the gauge gave no reading at all so I change the temperature sending unit did that myself and now I get a fluctuating reading of 240° to 250 it's obviously not that hot because my coolant level stay fine there's no steam coming out of the engine or overflow. even when the gauges pinned it's not overheating it's just
not giving me an accurate reading I keep reading about the grounding problems but the temperature sensor and the engine harness wire connect right on top so I'm assuming the temperature sending unit is the ground and if I'm wrong how do I get a better ground

A couple of things to try. First, do not use sealer or Teflon tape to seal the sending unit. It should seal without it. If it does leak a little bit use the tiniest dab of sealant on it. It must be well grounded to work properly. Another thing that has happened to me is that an air pocket sticks right where the sender is when you refill the cooling system and the temp gauge will read wrong. Just unscrew the sender a little bit after you fill the cooling system to bleed the air out of the top of the pump. Also make sure that the gauges and the dash itself are well grounded.Hope this helps.

Well I replaced it with out puting any sealant at all I just pulled the old one out and put the new one in while the coolant was still in the radiator I didn't drain it and how tight do have to screw these units down all the way So their is no give Plus the mechanic did repaint my block don't know if this is going to cause a problem now I'm assuming he didn't pull The sensor out when he painted it because there was some paint residue on the old sending unit nut

I've checked the ground which checked out ok so my next step will be on the inside of the car, dash cluster wires etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back