68 Charger 15” wheels

1968 -1970 Mopars

1. LMSC33

LMSC33 Member

Local Time:
    9:15 PM
    How can you identify the correct 15” wheel used on a 68 Hemi Charger?

2. davek

davek FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    do you have the build sheet?

3. LMSC33

LMSC33 Member

Local Time:
    No. They weren’t in the car when we got it. We checked all the typical places.

4. 69bfan

69bfan FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Are you trying to identify the specifics of the 68 plain steel wheel as found on the 68 B-Body applications or the different style wheel covers / hub caps that possibly could have been on a 68 Charger? The 68 wheel is a one year only application. Some people claim that some of the wheels made it onto station wagons and other extreme use applications like taxi and police car applications. It took years to find my first group of five wheels and shortly afterwards, a set of four matching date coded wheels found me. Unfortunately, due to the one year only application, expect to pay dearly if your looking to purchase the correct wheels.

5. LMSC33

LMSC33 Member

Local Time:
    We are gathering up some of the harder to find pieces for this project. My issue is that I can’t properly identify this specific wheel. What can you tell me to look for in either appearance, markings or part numbers? Any guidance would be appreciated.

6. Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I believe these are correct for 68 Hemi. 15x6.0 JK wheels. Look at center pattern. I would be interested in 69bfans answer also. This is a matched set.

P1000611.JPG P1000613.JPG P1000617.JPG

7. 69bfan

69bfan FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Dragon Slayer, those pictured above appear to be correct from my memory. My wheels are in a different building and I bought them so long ago that I have no pictures of them. From the pictures, you will note two distinct features of these wheels. First is the raised "nubs" in the center hub area. Granted, this area will be covered with even the poverty caps. For the 68 Chargers, full wheel covers were an option and seem to be fairly common on the Chargers. So if going that route, the covers will hide the other distinct feature. That is the inner wheel insert is relatively straight where it sits inside the outer band of the wheel. If your planning on running the poverty style hub caps, then this is an area that people who know the differences will zoom in on.

Unfortunately, all of the correct steel wheels for any of the Hemi applications all through the years seem to be either impossible to find or sell for stupid dollars. The 69 "H" wheel and the "450" wheel are reproduced. But the 68 wheel will never be reproduced and I looked through probably close to 1500 wheels to never find the first one. The one set I bought was back in 1989 at the Mopar Nationals and the second set found me through word of mouth from seeking out parts for a 68 Road Runner.

Good luck on the search.

8. LMSC33

LMSC33 Member

Local Time:
    Ok. Thanks.

I’ll keep digging. Something will come along. At least I know what to look for if lightning ever strikes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice