• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger 440-1 heads intake?

aeroglen

Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Hello! I'm rebuilding 68 charger, It have 500 cid engine with Indy 440-1 heads and Indy single plane 4500 intake with 2" spacer to 4150 flange and 1000 cfm Holley. So with intake so high it had chevy style scoop on the hood. I'm in love with stock Charger hood and want to fit engine under hood.
As I understand all 440-1 heads have MW ports and the only low intake with MW ports is Indy dual plane from Hughes?
Also I'm thinking about going to Fitech EFI 8, it have 4500 flange and may be my single plane intake with efi and drop base filter will fit under stock hood?

Good luck! I’ve read some people have been able to find a combo that fits the stock hood but in my situation the drop filter was too restrictive. On my 70, I ended up using a CH4B intake. It was a little less in the power band but everything fits as it should.

03B1D8B6-7B49-43C2-ABCF-5C88E9EC6619.jpeg

Swap out the cylinder heads and sell the Indy's. RPM's or Trick Flows will make good power with a wider selection of intakes available for them.
Mike

Last edited:
I picked up a single plane Indy and new valve covers thinking I could use them on my "X" with a set
of Indy heads with MW ports. Ha! Sold them at a loss 'cause they won't fit under the hood! #*$% ME!

I am running that Indy dual plane intake on my 440 with Edelbrock victor heads. With a drop base (I think inch and a half, can't remember) and 3 inch air cleaner it barely fits under the hood of my 72 charger with a fiberglass bulge hood. If it sat a 1/4" higher it would not fit.

440-1 factory heads (vs 440-3 motor home) or some off brand 440-1 heads? ie whose 440-1 heads
If you mean Indy then others have already given you some hints
you could go EFI and not worry about the runners running uphill :)

It's Indy 440-1 heads.
I found photos of two 70 Chargers with Indy 440-EZ-1 and Indy dual plane that fit under stock hood. So it seems like solution for me.
1970-dodge-charger-500.jpg

1970-dodge-charger-500.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back