• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger advice.

Dakotaacres

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
I have this 68 survivor. We love driving. He runs awesome. Interior is original except I had the driver bucket redone. Rear lowers are rusted and truck floor. Can't think of restoring it because of funds right now and also the time it would be down. I'm looking for advice on a few things.
When I drove it out of winter storage (w/ a dirt floor) I noticed a little more rust on him plus in other areas of the body. Any suggestions on how to store for the winter?
Any suggestions on attacking the rust or not? If...I could restore, do you have an estimate how much it would cost and how long?

Thank you

IMG_9207.JPG

I dont have a garage I have a carport so I put 3/4 ply under the car. I would sand and paint those areas before it gets worse.

look on AMD for what you need for sheet metal and I hope you can do it yourself or know someone who can do it. Do it right the first time and be done with it. On my charger it was $4 grand and I couldnt afford it so I sold the car and regret it still today. Save your money and buy piece by piece and then fix it. The car is worth it. Good luck.

Why does the Charger look familiar? Did you buy it not long ago? I like those 68s

spray some wd40 on the inside of the rusty areas.....it'll preserve it........repeat as necessary

Last edited:
I dont have a garage I have a carport so I put 3/4 ply under the car. I would sand and paint those areas before it gets worse.

Plywood is a great suggestion. I would add a heavy duty tarp under the plywood to keep moisture away. Also a fan pushing air underneath the vehicle should reduce moisture too.

I would do the WD40 trick mentioned. Then drive it. Restored cars are nice but they cost 60% more than you'd have guessed and take twice as long to complete than youd think. Plus you don't have to worry as much about scuffs and road rash while you drive it.

Patina cars are in fashion right now. I would do the oil spray idea and drive the wheels off it. Don't sell it!!!

Why does the Charger look familiar? Did you buy it not long ago? I like those 68s
I bought it about 3 years ago from my HS shop teacher. I've known this charger since the day he bought it new, June 1968, when I was 14. I did have posts back then on my experience acquiring it.

I do remember that. I like it as is. Not many left in there original state.

Get a product called Fluid Film, its like WD40 only thicker and stays on. Guys up here in Canada use it to prevent rust on cars and trucks from road salt. Do a little research on it, it's good stuff! Great looking Charger by the way!

Get a product called Fluid Film, its like WD40 only thicker and stays on. Guys up here in Canada use it to prevent rust on cars and trucks from road salt. Do a little research on it, it's good stuff! Great looking Charger by the way!
Or you can use Rust Check or Crown Rust Protection as well, available in rattle cans. Will last longer than WD40 and has better creep properties.

Messy..... but Dexron or any transmission fuild applied liberally in side and out, behind door panels, trunk floor drops, then park it on plywood/osb because it will drip over the first storage season. After that/subsequent years it should be OK/no drips

Solve it once and for all and also improve your property at the same time: Dig down the dirt, put down a vapor barrier, and get your family/pals to help pour a concrete floor in that garage. It does not have to be a perfect professional job. A decent job can be done with minimal tools and experience. You need to seal out the ground moisture. Anything else is just a band-aid. If you can't get the concrete done this summer, buy some heavy mil plastic sheeting and cover the entire garage floor before you store the car for winter.

The good thing from what I remember about North Dakota especially if you're more in the North Central or Western part is the air tends to be dryer there than back east. As for the car, if the rust isn't too bad then you could probably try to mitigate it with some touchup paint even and just drive it.

Auto Transport Service
Back