• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger body work

benno440

Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, i am looking for tips, videos and hints to help me remove and replace my rear quarter panels on my 68 charger. i have new AMD ones as my old ones are damaged beyond repair.

I am a boilermaker by trade but have not done alot if any auto sheetmetal, but happy to give anything a go.

whats my first step? paint removal for finding spot welds etc?

any tips appreciated :)

IMAG1064-20170912-22023170.jpg

First we need to know if they're full quarters or Not? Usually a quick hit with a wire wheel will highlight where the welds are, if they're full quarters be ready to melt the lead out of the upper seam. I would have the doors on and adjusted correctly to help with the realignment of the new ones. Full quarters are cakewalk just take your time tweaking and checking fitment before you weld:thumbsup:

I also like to have a can of weld threw primer for the job.

First we need to know if they're full quarters or Not? Usually a quick hit with a wire wheel will highlight where the welds are, if they're full quarters be ready to melt the lead out of the upper seam. I would have the doors on and adjusted correctly to help with the realignment of the new ones. Full quarters are cakewalk just take your time tweaking and checking fitment before you weld:thumbsup:
full quarters.
do you use standard drill bit to remove spotwelds or is there special tool?

full quarters.
do you use standard drill bit to remove spotwelds or is there special tool?

You can buy spot weld drill bits, but I just ground a 5/16 ( 8mm ) drill bit down to a really shallow angle ( tapered end shallow so it doesn't cut too deep ). I drilled partially into the centre of the spot weld with a small drill bit ( 1/8 ) to give a pilot for the shallow drill bit. Once I had drilled with the modified drill bit on all the spot welds I used a panel separating chisel to split the panels and then did a final clean up with sanding disc. You will get pretty good with practice at knowing how much material to drill out of the weld to make it easy to split apart. Good luck and be patient.

A lot of the guys on here use special bits, I like to grind the spot weld off. I definitely wouldn't use a regular drill bit because you'll get into the second layer making thin spots.

I use a die grinder with a 1/4" thick wheel on it to do the job. When grinding them off the metal will turn purple then start to turn red around the spot weld just before you go threw, at that point you can peel it away never touching the metal underneath. To me it just leaves a better surface where drills can get into the second panel. Everyone has their own preference but the other advantage of grinding is you can buy grinding wheels just about anywhere instead of having to order them.

i found a flat top 10mm drill in my tray, it works so well, chews out the top material and only leaves a 2mm hole on the good piece.

guys any tips on getting all the surface rust off in the nitty gritty places of the inner panels? inner roof has alot but i dont think a wire wheel will get in there?

IMAG1081-20170916-175016867.jpg IMAG1086-20170916-175012925.jpg IMAG1085-20170916-175013769.jpg

A lot of the guys on here use special bits, I like to grind the spot weld off. I definitely wouldn't use a regular drill bit because you'll get into the second layer making thin spots.

I use a die grinder with a 1/4" thick wheel on it to do the job. When grinding them off the metal will turn purple then start to turn red around the spot weld just before you go threw, at that point you can peel it away never touching the metal underneath. To me it just leaves a better surface where drills can get into the second panel. Everyone has their own preference but the other advantage of grinding is you can buy grinding wheels just about anywhere instead of having to order them.

pic of the flat top drill bit, works so well.

IMAG1089-20170916-175010268.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back