• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger gas cap/console recess black out

Macdon221

Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
Good Day,

I know on the ‘69 gas cap the recesses are blacked out. What about the 68?.......i see most without like the picture below.

Also....the lines in the console...do they go blacked out in the recess as well?

Please share your methods if you have any!

Thanks

BE6F9AAC-359B-4D43-99D7-46AF4EA91311.jpeg 9D6BF360-0B41-4419-A5E9-FD9E6E86213C.jpeg

Good Day,

I know on the ‘69 gas cap the recesses are blacked out. What about the 68?.......i see most without like the picture below.

Also....the lines in the console...do they go blacked out in the recess as well?

Please share your methods if you have any!

Thanks

View attachment 879797 View attachment 879798
I'm not sure about the 68 gas cap, but on the console top plates the recesses are blacked out. Use satin black not gloss.

What is your technique?

Spray all then wipe the “top rails” so to say, off with a rag and mineral spirits?

What is your technique?

Spray all then wipe the “top rails” so to say, off with a rag and mineral spirits?

I wouldn't use mineral spirts, it doesn't flash off quickly so it would seep down into the grooves and cause the paint to lift.....

I'd use lacquer thinner or acetone.... Stretch the rag tight over a flat block, it may take repeated passes but at least you'll only clean the top surfaces & not effect the paint down in the grooves...

I have sprayed the entire ribbed portion satin black and let dry for a week and then used 0000 steel wool on it with good results.

anyone have any before and after pics?

Besides cleaning very well inside the grooves did you do any other prep?

No paint in the recesses in 68 fuel cap ring or console. Only the cap itself in 69 was painted black in the recessed area. I would think if you paint it, you probably better not spill any gasoline on it.

No paint in the recesses in 68 fuel cap ring or console. Only the cap itself in 69 was painted black in the recessed area. I would think if you paint it, you probably better not spill any gasoline on it.
I agree I don't ever remember seeing a 68 console lid with black in the grooves. I rode a lot of miles in my cousins 68 R/T when it was new. Don't remember any black on it. A silver a long the outer edges and chrome every were else.

Last edited:
I don’t recall the console door having “black out”....

Ok. Now we are getting somewhere. No black out like the 69 gas cap....and also not in the console grooves is what I am getting here. That is why I guess “most” of the 68 caps i see do not have it.

Auto Transport Service
Back