• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Gas Cap Reburb

Macdon221

Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
Good Day All,

I would like to dismantle the gas cap to clean it up and replace the rubber seal. As you can see is is cracked. Any tips or hints and also where can I find the rubber seal? Also the spring that is in the spring loaded latch is broken. Does anyone know where to find this spring and the best way to remove the spring loaded latch?

IMG_2902.jpg

No one has ever rebuilt these? No hints on where to find the rubber seal?

I believe that your not going to find any service replacement parts for your restoration of this part. We have produced a variety of seals for these cars over the past 28 years for a variety of vendors and nobody has asked for the seal and I do not know of anyone doing it.
If you are really trying to keep the original cap, you might be left with purchasing a donor cap for the needed parts. My only concern is that even purchasing a new restoration cap, you might find that the pieces are close, but not 100% accurate as to what your working with.

69bfan....good to know. I am like that...keep the original as much as possible...as it works!!

Auto Transport Service
Back