• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger patch panel forming/paint guidance

Davis Lewis

Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to fabricate panels on my 68 charger.

I would like to know type of steel was originally used? Is cold rolled mild steel ok?

and know original metal gauge size for:
rear quarters
roof skin
roof understructure
front/rear floorplans
trunk pan
rear frame rail

I also would like to know type of filler/primer that works with the metal type I would use with the new sheet metal to get it ready for paint?

I am also interested in sheet metal forming and would like to know tools others have used. I would like to know how curves, indents, body lines could be formed.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ummm sounds like you have a rusty charger and want to try and fix it yourself without buying any reproduction parts
Before you take it all apart you should just get a chunk of sheet metal and try making anything
Buy what ever tool you will need to make the shape

The hardest shape piece you will have to make is the lower back corner of the rear window
Try making that piece first
It is not very big so when it does not turn out very well the first time make another and another till you get it right
Then try to make a reverse version for the other side

Good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back