• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 CHARGER REAR BRAKE STAR ADJUSTER FACTORY 10" DRUMS

73sechgr

Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
just want to verify the maint manual .ok working on left rear,says to insert tool then pry UP ,that would be to compress , reduce length of star wheel assy.,looking fwd pry up would be turning star wheel counter clock wise as you are looking forward to front of car ,is this correct,,have not done a drum brake job for a long time as U all can tell THANKS TO EVERYONE!!

Let's see what I remember....
1. the star adjusters are threaded differently (right hand/left hand threads) depending on the side it's on (driver/pass)- can't remember which is which.
2. Normally, you can just pull the drums off with some wiggling unless the brake shoe rivets are dug down into the drums. Don't forget to have the emergency brake off!
3. IF the shoes have been let go for a LONG time & the rivets are dug into the drums (happened to me once), then you're basically trying to turn the star adjuster with your flathead screwdriver (or brake tool) through the slot, behind the rubber plug, at the bottom of the brake backing plate. The adjuster lever (spring loaded) is trying to hold the star in place, but I was able to "force" the star wheel to turn with my screwdriver (I pushed harder than the spring-loaded adjuster lever could hold it) and it was a ROYAL PIA, but I got that drum off.
4. Even with the star wheel turned back, it's still tough (if brakes are really bad) to get the drums off.....wiggle, tug, yank, back & forth, pry (ever so gently so you don't bend backing plates)
5. 95% of the time "wiggle & tug" gets the drum off....oh yeah, don't forget that from the factory there will be one wheel stud with a little push-on retainer clip....make sure that's off too.

If you are adjusting the brakes with the drum on, you can only turn it one way if your adjuster has the lock plate that only let's it turn one way. (some only have a spring that goes over the star wheel to hold it from turning)

If you are trying to back off the adjuster, you have to insert a small screwdriver to hold the locking plate away from the star wheel, then with the brake tool (or a thin, bent screwdriver) turn the star so you can shorten the adjuster.

Here's an adjuster with the locking plate. (red arrow)
Screenshot_2018-06-13-13-45-28.jpg

Easy way is remember ‘Kids’ pic. Bottom to top rotation tightens(extends) the adjuster. Always remember the picture.

just want to verify the maint manual .ok working on left rear,says to insert tool then pry UP ,that would be to compress , reduce length of star wheel assy.,looking fwd pry up would be turning star wheel counter clock wise as you are looking forward to front of car ,is this correct,,have not done a drum brake job for a long time as U all can tell THANKS TO EVERYONE!!
Looking forward, on either side, if you pry up the adjuster is lengthened, tightening the drums(I can loosen the adjustment by prying down but that's probably just because of chinese replacement parts lol...they work fine though)

Auto Transport Service
Back