• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Steering gearbox play

Bob Sawyer

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
When I resealed my power steering gearbox on my Charger I did not make any adjustments. Pretty much left everything as it was. It seems to have a lot of play in the steering wheel with the engine off. What should I expect from a 61K mile car? It's been 38 years since I have driven this car on the road and I just don't know what to expect.

It's probably due to the fact you haven't driven it in a long time and are used to new cars being tighter.

It's probably due to the fact you haven't driven it in a long time and are used to new cars being tighter.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Just wanted to get opinions from you guys that drive them on a regular basis.

They do have a bit of play when the engine is off, the shaft also moves in and out a little bit. On YouTube there are some Chrysler tech videos about adjustments etc that are worth watching.
Chrysler recommend you adjust the end play adjustment with the engine running.

They do have a bit of play when the engine is off, the shaft also moves in and out a little bit. On YouTube there are some Chrysler tech videos about adjustments etc that are worth watching.
Chrysler recommend you adjust the end play adjustment with the engine running.
Thanks. I'll watch the videos.

Auto Transport Service
Back