• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger wheel tub help

benno440

Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, want to install full wheel tubs into my 68 charger.

the car had a fair bit of quarter panel dents and damage so old quarters were removed and original wheel wells were also slighty damaged so they were cut out too.

how would you go about matching up a fabricated wheel tub to the inner quarter panel and what would be best way of fixing it to the quarter, fillet weld it together or another way?

Can you take pictures and post those

If the inner tubs were in good condition you could carefully remove them from the quarters salvaging at least an inch then splice your new tubs right to them. The second option would be install the tubs then get the quarters located and trace the wheel opening onto the them, cut on the line and weld a lip to them to be spot welded to the quarter. Other than that you'll have some fun fabricating something from scratch.

BTW, glad to see you back. Let's see some pics of your new project.

Tubs are usually matched to the quarters using cardboard templates. The match has to be close enough to weld. The trimmed tubs are then tacked every few inches to the quarters. Then the whole seam is seam sealed inside and out. The tubs have to be steel to be welded to the quarters, not aluminum. Some shops run some 1" square tubing from the frame rails over to the quarters for added support to both the tub and quarter.

It used to be popular to 'mini tub" B bodies. Split the tub in half and weld in a 4" or so extension in the middle. I had a 70 Road Runner that was an ex drag car. It had been done that way. I think the old Direct Connection race manuals even had the instructions. Of course this was usually done when the leaf springs were moved over to the subframe rails.

Auto Transport Service
Back