• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet Convertible Top

RonJ

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
Resto nearing completion; new convertible top (self fitted) has a glass rear window. Should I unzip the window before lowering the top fully into it's boot? Also has two dome fastened top straps which support the glass when unzipped, should these also be unclipped or is the intention that these straps stay connected when lowering and raising the top? Have conflicting advice so any help appreciated. Am reluctant to lower the top fully until I am sure as have heard of windows breaking. Regards, Ron

I've had 3 70 Satellite convertibles with glass back window. Never unzipped the glass. Never had it break.

68 coronet 500 with rear glass.
there's a zipper back there? :lol:

It can be folded down with the glass zipped in place. As mentioned, not sure why they bothered to add the zipper.
Unzipping may add some ventilation? but you can't unzip and remove the back glass because the lower part of the panel is attached to the car.

It can be folded down with the glass zipped in place. As mentioned, not sure why they bothered to add the zipper.
Unzipping may add some ventilation? but you can't unzip and remove the back glass because the lower part of the panel is attached to the car.

Thank you for your reply, think you are right on the money. I would have thought the same. Surely it would be mentioned in the installation instructions if the glass were to be unzipped when lowering? I did put it to the sales rep by email who said it may be best to unzip when lowering but I think he was covering his butt?

Lowering it does provide airflow, not needed for lowering the top, in fact there's a chance the glass will get broken if not positioned properly when unzipped... I have a friend who has always lowered his back glass for ventilation.... A couple years ago the zipper failed & now he needs a new top..

Auto Transport Service
Back