• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 coronet HT rocker / quarter advice: How to tackle rust

Robking

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
I've been doing some searching on FBBO and googling but still not quite sure how the panels are assembled in this area. The rocker panels on the car are solid as well as the quarters, but I have this one area just below/behind the bottom rear corner of the driver door jamb. I wore a mask just in case, but if I'm getting in to lead it's not obvious to me. If anyone happens to have some photos of this area as its going back together after repair I would greatly appreciate it. And of course any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!

The problem area is circled in red, and it seems there is another layer of metal behind it.

Thanks,
Robbie

rocker.jpg

I've been doing some searching on FBBO and googling but still not quite sure how the panels are assembled in this area. The rocker panels on the car are solid as well as the quarters, but I have this one area just below/behind the bottom rear corner of the driver door jamb. I wore a mask just in case, but if I'm getting in to lead it's not obvious to me. If anyone happens to have some photos of this area as its going back together after repair I would greatly appreciate it. And of course any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!

The problem area is circled in red, and it seems there is another layer of metal behind it.

Thanks,
Robbie

View attachment 1369449

Actually once I took an ice pick to it, the area just forward of the red circle must be lead as its soft.

Looking at pictures of full quarter from AMD looks like the lower front corner of the quarter overlapped the rocker right here. Guess I'm going to need to clean the lead out out and cut that part of the lower quarter out and see what kind of shape the rocker is behind it.

Yup Good old lead. A propane or MAP gas torch will melt it. Then use a stiff bristle brush while it is soft. Yes it has inner and outer rockers. Should be an easy fix once you get it cleaned up. I would treat the metal and use All Metal not regular Bondo filler after patching if needed.

Thanks,
Robbie

View attachment 1369449
Looks like a lot more hidden rust

Looks like a lot more hidden rust
Yep that's what I'm afraid of, how much of that quarter and the rocker behind it is toast. Plan to cut a chunk out of quarter and see what's happening back there. Will post a pic, I know how you guys love rust pictures. Like watching that pimple popper show. Disgusting but you can't not watch...

Yep that's what I'm afraid of, how much of that quarter and the rocker behind it is toast. Plan to cut a chunk out of quarter and see what's happening back there. Will post a pic, I know how you guys love rust pictures. Like watching that pimple popper show. Disgusting but you can't not watch...

What I exposed of the rocker I at least can't poke holes in, but the test will be is there something to spot weld the quarter to once I get that lead out of there. That and thick enough quarter panel to butt weld the rest to.

I've not seen a patch panel for the front lower portion of a quarter, is someone has a pointer I'd appreciate it.

PXL_20221108_002756510.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back