68 Coronet seat belts

1968 -1970 Mopars

1. Scott4705

Scott4705 Member

Local Time:
    9:44 AM
    Hey guys, I am getting ready to install some front seat belts so I can start driving my car some. Here is my question. It came with the three point harness style, I can feel the hole behind the headliner. I am not crazy about the belts hanging like that though. I wanted to go with the lap belts, I see where they are available for a bench seat car in the retractable style. Has anyone else switched and was it an issue since the seat is so tight side to side? Classic industries has a set and they look like they are designed thin to work.Thanks for your help and ideas, if you have some pics that would be awesome.

2. haywire 440

haywire 440 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    8:44 AM
    Remember, just because there is a hole, it doesn’t mean the threaded nut was welded there. My understanding is after January 1, 1969 shoulder belts were installed, if your cars’ build date is before that it ‘probably’ didn’t come with them. I was told “how do you know the threads are there?” I didn’t want to cut the headliner to find out. Bill Edwards makes nice belts. I do see in your post that it came with a 3 point harness so it’s your choice what to go with. Enjoy driving the Coronet!

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Scott4705

Scott4705 Member

Local Time:

That is a great point, man I would have been crying if I cut the headliner and the nut was not their. Thanks for the heads up.

4. dadsbee

dadsbee FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Take a dental pick, put it though one of the existing vent holes in the headliner and rub the bolt hole walls.... No lube required, listen for the threads.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Hilljack68

Hilljack68 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I have the same year and model. From the factory, you had a retractable lap belt and a separate shoulder belt that, when not in use, attached to the sun visor base. It was not a retractable 3-point belt.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • JimKueneman

JimKueneman FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        6:44 AM
        My '68 is the same way. Retractable lap and the shoulder clipped to the sun visor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.