• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet trunk pan holes

Robking

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
Hey folks, just replaced trunk pans in my 68, and getting ready to paint soon. My two piece trunk floor doesn't have
any of the holes pre-drilled. Are there any of these that really need to be there? I don't plan on drilling out any
that aren't necessary.

The car had no gas tank when I bought it so I didn't have to drop the tank or anything. I was wondering if some
of the holes are there for accessing the fuel gauge sending unit. Mine is at the bottom, the part I had to replace
is gray primer, so I still have the factory holes for the fuel vent tubing that comes up into the trunk.

amd_trunk_pan.jpg

Mine.

PXL_20221125_225059666.jpg

Thanks as always, couldn't have gotten this far without FBBO.

Robbie

My guess is most of holes in the factory piece were for access to spot welder or something of the sort. I wouldn’t pop them in there unless I needed them.

No access hole for the fuel sender unit but should be one for the sender wire to go through and it's no big deal to add it.

Fuel sender wire, fuel vent pipe up into trunk and back out and into the passenger frame rail.

Fuel sender wire, fuel vent pipe up into trunk and back out and into the passenger frame rail.

Thanks everyone, I kept my nasty old chunks of floor pan just for this reason. Is the hole circled in red for the
fuel sending wire? I cut out the old pan just forward of this hole, so all the vent holes are intact in the original
portion of the trunk floor.

amd_trunk_pan_marked.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back