• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 fuel return line?

SGTPaul

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I've heard that a 68 Charger 440 4 spd R/T would or would not have a fuel return line. Don't see it in the parts book or in the service manuals for that year. I see sending units for a 3/8" fuel line both ways for that year. What say you all? Looking for direction. Car in question was built in December 67.

Thanks, Paul

Never heard of it, but who knows what they were planning for the future. As in a vapor return.

I just got done working on a 68 GTX, prior to the guy who owns it tearing it apart it was a crusty old untouched car.... Still had virtually every original part on it but hadn't run in 37 years... No evidence of a return line or vapor separator...

Ok that is what I thought. Mine was all stripped down when I got it. Thanks.

My 68 GTX originally auto, now thankfully a 4 speed, had one if that means anything. No fender tag or build sheet, but the interior door panels said May 68, so I’m guessing that’s when it was built.

My car might be different, I have an intake electric pump with feed and return, along with a thick carb gasket, and I’ve never had vapor lock issues, or “dieseling” when shutting it off. Is that because of having a return line? Idk. But I think the factory called the line a “vapor separator” so maybe it is helping.

I know a guy bought a 68 Coronet R/T new. 440-4 speed and it has a separator and return line. Don’t know what build date is.

440 and Hemi cars should have the separator and return line starting in '68. One interesting side note is that even though my car had a 3/8 outlet at the sender, a 5/16 line was used. Confirmed with prior owners it was never changed and still had factory undercoating on it. When I replaced the tank I used 3/8 hard line.

440 and Hemi cars should have the separator and return line starting in '68. One interesting side note is that even though my car had a 3/8 outlet at the sender, a 5/16 line was used. Confirmed with prior owners it was never changed and still had factory undercoating on it. When I replaced the tank I used 3/8 hard line.
That’s funny, classic 60s assembly line workers, I don’t know what they were smoking, but they had a great time:bananaweed:

Wasn’t it 5/16 feed and 1/4 return for all 440-4bbls, and 69 1/2 six packs. And 3/8 feed and 5/16 return for Hemi and later six packs?

Starting in 69 3/8" feed was used on 440 Magnums & Hemi's... The 440-6 got the 5/16 cause it started out coming down the assembly line as a 383 car..

The 68 I just worked on & my 68 both had 5/16" fuel lines & 3/8" senders.. I can't say 100% on my 68 about the vapor separator, the car had been modified to much... But it didn't have a 1/4" return line so I doubt it had a vapor separator either... Both the GTX & my R/T are early cars.. GTX is 830 & my R/T is 911

Going back together mine will have a 3/8" line, a 1/4" line & a separator since I got both lines cheap twenty years ago from a guy who gave up on a project 70 Coronet R/T Vert...

68 Charger RT auto here 5/16 line to pump and 1/4 from separator to tank. Not sure what the feed line is that has been mentioned. The pickup in the tank is 5/16. All metal line to the pump are still original.

68 Charger RT auto here 5/16 line to pump and 1/4 from separator to tank. Not sure what the feed line is that has been mentioned. The pickup in the tank is 5/16. All metal line to the pump are still original.
Feed is the main supply line from the tank to the pump... Sounds like yours id 5/16"

My 68 GTX June build Auto never had a return line on it, but it has one now and a vapor seperator.
The gas now will boil faster than the Sunoco 260 of the "Olden Days". Why ask for trouble?

My '68, 4 speed, 9/29 St. Louis car, has the 1/4" return line. I think it has the 3/8" supply line.

I bought a 68 Charger R/T when I got out of the Navy in March of 68. It was a 375 hp 440 with 4 speed and 3.55 sure grip gears. Not sure if it made a difference but I bought it in Long Beach CA. and it came with the 3/8" supply and 1/4" return. My brother bought a 68 Charger in Minnesota with a 383 4 speed and 3.23 gears. His had the 5/16 supply and no return. His car would vapor lock at times when mine would not. We looked into the problem at the time and found a wrecked 68 Charger in a junk yard that donated the 3/8" fuel sender, lines and separator for his car. It cured the vapor lock issues on his car. I don't recall much about the wrecked car we got the parts from except that it was an R/T.

Thanks all. I'll go with the 3/8" supply line and a return line with separator. Any recommendations on a sending unit?

And I found it in the 68 service manual on page 14-56 for 440 and 426 engines. What confused me is that it doesn't show a line to the tank, but just notes it. I guess I need to read more and not just look at the pictures. Also should this be a three piece metal line from the pump to the carb (pump to separator, separator to filter, and filter to carb
)? If anyone could provide a pic that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Last edited:
Here are some:
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1622.JPG
20190627_201802.jpg

Thanks @zyzzyx. Could you please provide a pic of the fuel line from the separator to the carb with the filter?

Auto Transport Service
Back