• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 gtx rear 11 x 2.5 brake drum options

Browndj76

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, decided to check the end play on my rear axles and found drums that need replaced. don't think they can be turned. they are the smooth drum with the springs around them. some research shows that they aren't reproduced or even available unless you find an nos or original set that can be turned. I do find on a lot of vendors sites that there are later model finned drums that they say will fit. I try to compare the dimensions shown with what i have and the finned drums seem slightly larger. This may or may not cause an issue. I was wondering if anyone had tried to use the later style finned on a 68 that wasn't finned originally? Autozone has duralast 8860 or 854 that says it will fit, other sites say raybestos 2953r, bendix pdr0365. right now, not concerned with "correct", I can deal with that later. Has anyone used the ones I mentioned and did they fit? any help will be appreciated

I think the finned variety will fit....otherwise us 68 b-body folks will be F'ed

I would like to find a non-finned set that is usable (turnable) or new, but no such luck yet. If you find a set please give me first dibs! :)

Thanks rakort. I will know in a couple days if the finned ones will fit or not. I will keep looking for originals. I always like to have correct parts or my cars even if they aren't on the cars. If i come across any i will let you know. Thanks

Great. Info is much appreciated. Looking forward to getting the brakes done so i can move on and finish my other projects

My 66-300 had 11 X 2-1/2" on them. I hear you, they are hard to find. That's one reason why I upgraded to rear discs, that and being a big *** heavy Chrysler, it could use all the help it can get to stop. I like it, Good Luck.

Well, discs were a thought and maybe in the future. However right now my wallet is light. A simple valve job on my gtx has turned into, trickflow 240 powerport heads, 525 lift cam, comp ultra pro roller rockers and a completely new fuel system for the holley sniper setup. Possibly might be headers around the corner, waiting on a custom exhaust spacer since my passenger side ex manifold wants to occupy the same space as my fabricated valve covers. What a rabbit hole! Now remember why i always used stock oem replacement parts on my cars. Love the look of the hp exhaust manifolds and they do well power wise but if they have to go, there is another 1300 for tti headers and a mini starter. I will be happy with the finned brake drums for now

Yeah you can get into some rabbit holes with aftermarket performance parts. My plan, even if I upgrade with some performance parts, is to keep everything OEM (looking) as much as possible. If someone would pop the hood on my car, it would look as much as possible like it did when it rolled out of the factory. Sure slip a cam in there, but keep the OEM ex manifolds and ditch the fabricated valve covers would be my plan. Everyone does their own thing....nothing wrong with that.

I agree with you rakort. I love the look of a stock engine bay. This is my first attempt getting away from stock and it has been a very costly and frustrating endeavor. Should be a great car to drive after but the hurdles have been less than fun

So one victory. Oreilly brake best drums worked out fine. Thanks for the info.

20181216_145037.jpg 20181216_171355.jpg

Wojo68, it was an adventure. Pretty sure nobody makes the 68 style smooth 11 inch drums so take care of the ones you have. If not, here is one of the options that i can verify that fit. 2953DGS from oreillys

I have a 68 charger. when i bought the car the drums, shoes & hardware were all gone. after reading some posts i figured they are 11 x 2-1/2 im not sure if they were manual adjusters or self adjusters. how do i find out? if they were manual adjusters can i upgrade to self adjusters?

I needed a front drum for my 68 RR and lucked up and found one with a hub assembly for $50. Here is the pair after they were blasted, turned, painted, and new studs installed. These are getting hard to come by.
IMG_9417.jpeg
IMG_9429.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back