• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX VIN plate location

ALL cars built from the 1968 model year through today, sold new in the US, have the VIN on the dash, per the FMVSS.

I seem to remember some cars I saw in South America still had them on the pillar in 1972. But they didn't look like American models, but similar to MarPar's car.. Being in Venezuela, they did different things. I know my 1973 Motoguzzi I bought new in Panama had no head Stamp like the Bikes that were sold in the U.S. Only a six digit number stamped into the frame.(Italian title as well)

I'm talking about a real GTX not the Argentina one ( which is an A body based ). Chrysler of Venezuela assemblied cars with USA CKD, so our Mopars are the same than yours with just with lower options. My 74 Charger is the same than your 74 Charger with minor differences on equipment.

However 68 GTX was never assemblied here. This is one a freind of mine found locally... GTX 440 4 speed, no A/C and heater delete ( no hole on firewall for blower ). It got the fender tag ( Locallly assemblied cars never got fender tag, because all leave the plants on same way with just diff colors combos ), but THIS IS WEIRD, VIN plate on Door Jam area

Venezuelan Mopars got up to 75 or 76s the VIN PLATE on door jam, but 76 or 77 changed finally to dash frame, up to 79 when Chrysler stopped the production and leave the country ( they came back in 90 or so ).

it seems the rivets are not the rosete ones, just plain ones, so maybe a previous owner changed its location when he noticed local Mopars were with plate on door jam? dunno. Dash frame is in bad conditions, probably changed since cluster is 200 kmh ( 120 miles ) being the 150 miles the correct one. Maybe taken from a local 68/69 Mopar B body.

The car needs LOOOTS OF CARE AN ATTENTION. LOOTS OF PARTS, but is an unique car down here. we found a 68 cast 440 to mount on it, now hunting for the tranny. 8 3/4 rear end. all interior is missed. Originally U blue, white stripes, but actually BADLY painted in red.

- - - Updated - - -

I was asking just in case because I did know a 68 SHOULD get the VIN on dash, but wondering if maybe was a mid year change or from the beginin

Next question...

Shouldn't some of the fender tag numbers match with some of the VIN plate ?

- - - Updated - - -

And where should be the hidden VIN tags or stamping numbers in a 68 GTX

in 68, the hidden stampings and the fender tag number refer to the Shipping Order number found on the broadcast sheet, not the VIN

GTX Exterior (106).JPG

one is located on the radiator core

DSC03260.JPG

and the other one the driver's side trunk lip under the weatherstripping

GTX Exterior (63).jpg

& the only way to tie a vin # & body ,fender tag # together is with the build sheet.

but the VIN was partially stamped on fender tag since 69, Am I right ?

Sorry, Since cars in Vzla didn't get Fender tags and VIN plates are way diff from USA build cars I' not really familiar with these. This 68 GTX is obviouslly imported from USA, because GTXs ( and any Plymouth 2 doors B bodies ) never were assemblied locally

Auto Transport Service
Back