• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Magnum 500 Restoration

GTXperience

Local time
4:01 PM
Reaction score
I am planning on restoring the original Magnums/Road Wheels on the GTX. I need to start with the basics. Were the wheels originally chromed or was there another metallic finish used on them? What is the "correct" black to shoot on them? Is it a deg gloss? I have seen the masking stencils offered before. Has anyone used these or is a painter's tape job sufficient?

For `67 and `68 these wheels were all chrome with no trim rings, not sure on the exact black and all you can do is try taping one off and see how it goes. Good luck and post some before and after pics.

If they are like my Magnum 500 wheels, they may be rusty, it would be a good idea to get 'em Media Blasted to expose any thin areas, plus they clean up nicely when done! (That reminds me, I have another set to do myself)

For `67 and `68 these wheels were all chrome with no trim rings, not sure on the exact black and all you can do is try taping one off and see how it goes. Good luck and post some before and after pics.

Thanks Matt. I will definitiely take some before and afters as soon as I get all my ducks lined up.

If they are like my Magnum 500 wheels, they may be rusty, it would be a good idea to get 'em Media Blasted to expose any thin areas, plus they clean up nicely when done! (That reminds me, I have another set to do myself)

Donny, there is actually no rust at all. The chrome is a little dull but there is no rust/pitting. I was almost thinking of buffing it out and respraying the black until the time was right to go through the entire car.

Hey GTX, i don't know your Xperience (LOL) with painting and masking, but before painting, do a quick, real thin coat of paint first and let it dry, to seal the edges of the masking before you go to town. it eliminate the edges bleeding through :grin:

Hey GTX, i don't know your Xperience (LOL) with painting and masking, but before painting, do a quick, real thin coat of paint first and let it dry, to seal the edges of the masking before you go to town. it eliminate the edges bleeding through :grin:

Thanks for the tip Mar. I will do that.

I use regular masking tape and a razor blade. For the black, I use BBQ black, which is a semi gloss and I think looks like I remember them looking

I think it was year one that sold a masking stencil for painting those wheels.

I used the 3M blue painters tape with no real issues. A couple really small areas of bleed through were removed via rag, lightly dampened with a little paint thinner after everything was dry. I used a generic satin black, mixed up in a spray can from the local automotive paint supply store.

SEM trim black is good stuff and matches the factory seat bracket and pedal color very well. I have used heavy grease as a masking compound then just wiped it off when the paint is dry, but sometimes it's hard to get the grease to make a good edge. Maybe a combo of grease and tape.

Hopefully the chrome is good. If not I have a decent set I might sell you :yes:

Auto Transport Service
Back