• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Manifold Removal

Macdon221

Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
Cleaning up a few things. Would like to remove both exhaust manifolds, blast, re-coat. The main drive is needing to remove the manifold to be able to remove one of the head bolts as the spark plug brackets are installed wrong. Also want to put on spark plug heat shields.

Having a preliminary look...it seems extremely tight for room the rear drivers manifold bolt to come out reference the steering column. See photo.

Any advice.

AD559ED5-6C80-4D2B-A7F6-C9BC801BBCBD.jpeg

Never had a problem, but don't remember if it came all the way out or if you backed it out and removed it or if it came out with the manifold.

On my 68 I had to jack the motor up to get the drivers manifold out.
That was gonna be my suggestion.
Do you still have the factory studs? If you do, the manifold will have to come about 3/4" away from the head before you can jiggle it out.

Last edited:
Yes. Factory studs. Think there is room to get the manifold out and up. But not sure there will even be room to remove the rear bolt reference the steering column.

You're talking about one of the long nuts on either side of the down-pipe area? If you have enough room to get it loose from the stud, just leave it in the manifold as you remove the manifold.

I was able to take the drivers side one off without moving anything.
I could not get the passengers side one off. It would not slide off the studs before it hit the inner fender. The engine I realised is quite far offset.

If you have iron heads and manifolds and the surfaces are in fair to good condition you can use a coating of high temp RTV and this seals nicely. That is what I did with mine and it is quite easy to do and works really well.
I tightened up the manifolds and left it for 24 hours as well before running it.

@Macdon, I am dealing with the same issue, i was able to break both nuts on downlipe flange but can’t get read nut off because bolt is turning and a socket won’t fit. Thinking about going to store to try and get 5/8 stubby wrench.

What did you do?

Norcal...sorry..what was the issue? You cant get the long sleeve nut off?

Auto Transport Service
Back