• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Newport Engine and Tranny

Rockylguy

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
I am still looking for what I need to convert my slant six 67 Coronet 2 door hardtop to a big block. I have the opportunity to buy a 68 Newport with a strong running 383 and 747 transmission for $2500 obo. I have spoken to the seller and he's getting rid of the Newport due to severe rust issue with rails. Are there other parts from this car that would help me with the swap? Any advice or related information would be great.

https://www.nlclassifieds.com/Autom...-A-Friend-Placentia-Newfoundland-NLCId2027420

Thanks, Rocky.

P.S. In April I was looking at a late 60's New Yorker, would the New Port be the same basic car?

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents what your doing or thinking of doing is the best low cost way of converting your /6 car.
You will have a ton of needed parts at hand, Much of the C body stuff will not cross over but then again a lot of it will, Radiator , throttle cable , ect ect just many parts you will not have to chase down if the C body ones are good.
There is a company { Schumacher } that sells motor mount conversion sets for your K frame that should let you use the one already in the B body.
Does the Coronet have a 8.75 rear diff ? Make sure to check out the Newports rear you never know it may be a sure grip equip car the housing & axles will not fit but the center chunk may be a keeper.
If that 383 and 727 are good and you can pick that Newport up cheap Id say grab it.

You wont buy all those parts for that price. Go for it. I use to have a 67 coronet 440 4 door slant six auto. Best car I ever had. Too bad it rusted out. A slant six is a great engine. I would have a hard time wanting to change it though. enjoy your car.

Thanks. I contacted the seller again today and but now I'm second in line to purchase....someone else is looking at the Newport tomorrow. The seller will contact me if the car is still available.....Hopefully I'll bet my engine + !

Auto Transport Service
Back