• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 R/T Coronet rear panel restoration

iraqivet01

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
Here's a few photo's and steps I took to restore my "not so pleasent" looking Rear panel and light bezels on my coronet.

1dentedpanel.jpg
[/IMG]

2dent2inpanel.jpg
[/IMG]

After stripping the paint and putting thru the polishing wheel. I tapped out the deep dents, but as you can see, they're was some definite TLC needed.

3repairingdent.jpg
[/IMG]

4repairingdent2.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like a lot of filler, but 90% or more was sanded off.

6afterdentrepairandprimered.jpg

After priming and fine sanding.

7primeredpaneldrying.jpg
[/IMG]

The sanding part was easy, it was the taping prior to painting that was fun. Got to love all those chrome thin lines. making them uniform is the trick.
I used vinyl stripe tape that you can pick up from any auto parts store.
The R/T, I used painter tape. Razor blades are a must. for this job.

12taperemovalafterpainting2.jpg
[/IMG]

After applying several coats of Satin Black and waiting a few hours, I was able to peal tape off.

12aRTonpaintedpanel.jpg
[/IMG]

Taking one of my new emblem to the Auto parts store, I picked up some Scratch and Fix touch up paint. I was able matched up the Red that goes on the R/T. For reference. It was Radiant Fire, Chrysler #NG CC 392. I also picked up some flat black to do touch up on the emblem.

paintedRT.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks good!
Panel resto like that is definitely an art-form, and you got it right!

Auto Transport Service
Back