• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Roadrunner -- whats this one worth?

shadango

Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks....I am pretty new around here but have been lurking....on here, the e body forum and the a body forum. I am looking for a mopar toy and to be honest I LOVE B-bodies and E-bodies....I know I cant get into an ebody right now...even rotted out shells are going for beyond my money.... and I didnt think I could get into a B body either...seems like there is NOTHING in my price range (around $5-6k) that isnt WAAAAAAY far gone.......looking for driver I can work on with my boys.

I really don't want to do major body work at all or paint right away since it is what everyone sees....I can handle mechanical stuff but bodywork, I am not sure i have the patience....

That said, this car popped up....described as follows by the owner:

'68 roadrunner hardtop. 383 automatic on the column. Not original motor but is a '68 383.

Original 383 car but not the original 383 in it. The motor in it is freshly rebuilt --only has break in time on it. To make a perfect show car it would need full quarter panels, at least on driver's side. The ones on the car have been patched with aftermarket patches and most finishing work done. The hood has a little rust right under the front lip. Everything else on the body solid and in good shape. Car is in primer and would need touched up and smoothed out before being painted. New trunk welded in but welds need ground down and touched up. Does not have the quarter extensions. The passenger floor was partially replaced with a piece of sheetmetal, not a real floor pan. To be perfect a floor pan would need installed. 727 tranny:works fine. I don't know if it's the original. Rearend is 8 3/4 non positraction. Drive this car around on my road once in a while when weather is nice -- it seems to run good.
Car was taken apart for restoration by the previous owner and still needs some work putting it back together. I have some parts on it I bought and installed and there are some parts that still need installed like the gas tank and rear bumper. They were removed when the new trunk went in. I have a complete '68 dash that goes with the car for if someone wants to replace the one that's in the car.

That's all I know right now about the car....posted pics here.....

http://s349.photobucket.com/albums/q391/shadango_bucket/hrr/?albumview=slideshow

I guess I am looking to see what you folks think....The A body folks have been hugely helpful in pointing out stuff that a newbie like me would miss...

So, let me know what you think this car would be worth and what you think I should look out for if I go look at it.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. :yes:

Looking at those pics I think I see some tings that scare me. First, it looks like they laid those quarter patched on TOP of the rusted quarter. Not sure, but that's what it looks like. Then there is that shitty patch in the floor. I personally wouldn't be able to "restore" a car with work like that lurking under the carpet. Also, there is a pic underneath where you can see (what I think it) the passenger's side T bar mount, and it looks like that member has had some bad welding done to it as well.

Personally I think $4K would be to much

Yes, they did just patch over the old rust.......my guess is they used some of that rust "killer" stuff first......

Was wondering about the mount you pointed out too....seemed like there could have been a repair there......

Thanks for the feedback....like I said, this is a learning experience for me.

I see little red flags all over but before I begin, what is the current owner asking for this car? Also, what else did you ask about the motor? I am sure you are not just accepting that it is freshly rebuilt with only break-in time on it. Are there receipts/documentation? Who did the work? What parts are new and what parts were refurbished? When was the work done? Was it rebuilt 12 years ago and just sat after its break-in?

Again, I am not going to get into what I saw in the pics just yet but when I look at those pictures and hear the words, "To make a perfect show car it would need ..." & "Car was taken apart for restoration by the previous owner and ...", it makes me want to run far and run fast. Of course, it all depends on what he asking for it and what you want to ultimately use it for.

As far as what I want to use it for.....well, who wouldnt want to have a 100% perfect show car...LOL.....But I am realistic.....I am looking for a car I can actually drive and afford....so a 100% perfect show car is out......I know numbers matching cars are much more expensive and sought after.....so I havent been looking in that ballpark.....I just want a nice old Mopar to drive, enjoy, work on with my young sons to get them hooked on cars like I am, plus to teach them a little about them too. I guess I am also looking to learn too.

I dont want to get into any major body work like replacing entire panels, unless its for a really unbelievably "worth it" car.....I tried my hand at bodywork a few times over the years and while I did OK, I am far from being "good" at it.....paint is expensive, so if I could find a car with a decent body/paintjob I would be happy....solid frame and floors....Interior I can do, so that can be ratty......would prefer to have a solid v8 drivetrain already in place.....again, being realistic in my price range, I dont expect a brandy new crate engine or professionally blueprinted and balanced stock high performance motor......

I also realize that what I am looking for is hard to find...I will adjust according to what I find....I wouldnt mind doing some blocking and body tweaking and then paying for paint IF the car is otherwise a steal.

So that's why I am considering whether this car is worth it or not.

I am looking to see what you guys think the car would be worth from a purely subjective standpoint. You guys know these cars inside and out, having them yourselves....Though I grew up around these cars, this will be my first mopar of that age....

The car is priced at the top of my price range, but like I said I could adjust if its worth it.

It's difficult to give pricing advice when we really do not have more information on the car. As we both know, sheetmetal/frames & paint are the big money suckers with the eng/drivetrain following right behind. As far as the engine goes, I would want to at least know that information (mentioned above) in order to get a better idea of the car's worth. When looking at cars, I break them down into sub-categories (which for me, makes them easier to evaluate and compare). Have you heard the motor run or driven it? I do not know if this car is local to you or not.

It's difficult to give pricing advice when we really do not have more information on the car. As we both know, sheetmetal/frames & paint are the big money suckers with the eng/drivetrain following right behind. As far as the engine goes, I would want to at least know that information (mentioned above) in order to get a better idea of the car's worth. When looking at cars, I break them down into sub-categories (which for me, makes them easier to evaluate and compare). Have you heard the motor run or driven it? I do not know if this car is local to you or not.

Its within reasonable driving distance....havent heard it run yet.

Heard back from the seller....

He says all glass is good, new windshield......I asked about the t-bar repair pointed out and the puddles under the car....he said he would have to take a look at them and let me know......he also said he has no receipts for the engine work. H e has still not volunteered as to what was done to it after I asked, so my guess is he has no idea.....

I guess this is turning into another "pig in a poke" sort of deal...LOL

I guess my other question in all this is: Can I reasonably expect to find a decent car like this if I wait long enouigh for $5-6 k? I could go a little more $$ if the car was right.....

i have a restorable 68 coronet R/T more in your budget.....2500 ish.........needs 1/4s, floors, doors and fenders.......rails and rockers are solid......im in jersey

i have a restorable 68 coronet R/T more in your budget.....2500 ish.........needs 1/4s, floors, doors and fenders.......rails and rockers are solid......im in jersey

So the only things sheetmetal wise that don't need to be replaced are the hood, roof, and trunk lid?

I saw that ad but looks like a lot of bodywork? You might wanna look at this one if you haven't. Been on there a long time. I was gonna look at it but gettin ready to sink a pile of $$$$$ in mine.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1042607263.html

http://community.webshots.com/user/hemirambob

That just might be "the one" for Shadango since it looks like the body and paint are done (of course, depending on the quality). Replacing pans is not all that bad as well.

Just for sh*ts & giggles, here's a link to someone on FABO looking to see their '69 GTX clone project:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=55111

So the only things sheetmetal wise that don't need to be replaced are the hood, roof, and trunk lid?

pretty much........ i have a rust free trunk lid, roof is perfect (non-vinyl top), hood is useable......... a truck load of AMD metal would be the cure.

This one says its flagged for removal.....yet another scam I guess? WHich one was this?

Here's the text and pics from the posting. I still had it opened on my screen. There is a phone # though. Sometimes they are scams and sometimes they get flagged because someone else wants to get to it.
---------------

MOPAR 1969 PLYMOUTH SATELLITE ROADRUNNER CLONE CASH OR TRADE (new kensington,pa./15068)

1969 plymouth roadrunner clone,only 59,000 original miles,VIN# RH23F9GXXXXXX,had car shipped from down south,the body before painting was in great clean shape,you wont find a better one,only needs the floor pans replaced as almost all b-bodys do.Need to sell due to personal reasons before finishing...car is 80% finished all the hard work is done,i had the car painted at a good local ford car dealership the original plymouth color go mango orange.The paint job has never been on the road,it is in excellent shape,and has also been garage kept since being painted.The body is completely finished except for needing a full length floor pan on the drivers side and passenger side,and the center of the trunk pan,all cheap and easy fixes,they make exact repro pans at year one company or they can be had on ebay cheap,the old center section of trunk pan has already been removed so the hard work is done there also,other than that the body is clean and straight as is the underneath and frame.Originally was a 318 car,the k-member has been changed over to a big block k-member,and also the big block torsion bars,so shes ready to accept the big block of your choice,there is also a big block 727 transmission put in the car,have never used it so cant say if its good or not,but was told it was good.The car needs basically to be finished,a motor,the right floor pan,and left side floor pan,and the center trunk pan.The outside window chrome,and front grille,and some interior pieces,(rug,headliner,package tray,rear seat,and door panels,dash pad),its a nice car that just needs finished,and it wont take that awful much to finish it.Have clear title,it is also a air conditoned car,asking $7000 OBO,e-mail me for the details,or call 724-472-5359..thank you.
i may consider a partial and cash or an even up trade for a 90's firebird or trans am..or a mustang or camaro z-28..or corvette or possibly a speed boat such as a jet boat or a dodge or chevy/gmc 4x4 truck..or 426 hemi parts of equal value...or an even up trade for something of equal value with a sports car or 4x4 truck or ?....or anything else you may have that would intrest me....willing to do some wheeling and dealing...

3nf3o13lcZZZZZZZZZ92k9f7dbcbdfe1b1f8f.jpg

3md3o03p7ZZZZZZZZZ92kda72aa91a675116d.jpg

3n13pb3leZZZZZZZZZ92kd0ce97ec4b7a1e3d.jpg

3m93pd3o8ZZZZZZZZZ92k2d1c53d8693f1206.jpg

Yeah I have seen that car posted....he has been trying to sell for a long time now....price hasnt budged....

Makes me wonder why he did a full repaint BEFORE doing thetrunk floor or floorpans......plus, no motor....

May be a real good start though I guess.....it IS local to me.

But still looks like it needs a lot of $$ for parts, etc.

Here's the text and pics from the posting. I still had it opened on my screen. There is a phone # though. Sometimes they are scams and sometimes they get flagged because someone else wants to get to it.
---------------

MOPAR 1969 PLYMOUTH SATELLITE ROADRUNNER CLONE CASH OR TRADE (new kensington,pa./15068)

1969 plymouth roadrunner clone,only 59,000 original miles,VIN# RH23F9GXXXXXX,had car shipped from down south,the body before painting was in great clean shape,you wont find a better one,only needs the floor pans replaced as almost all b-bodys do.Need to sell due to personal reasons before finishing...car is 80% finished all the hard work is done,i had the car painted at a good local ford car dealership the original plymouth color go mango orange.The paint job has never been on the road,it is in excellent shape,and has also been garage kept since being painted.The body is completely finished except for needing a full length floor pan on the drivers side and passenger side,and the center of the trunk pan,all cheap and easy fixes,they make exact repro pans at year one company or they can be had on ebay cheap,the old center section of trunk pan has already been removed so the hard work is done there also,other than that the body is clean and straight as is the underneath and frame.Originally was a 318 car,the k-member has been changed over to a big block k-member,and also the big block torsion bars,so shes ready to accept the big block of your choice,there is also a big block 727 transmission put in the car,have never used it so cant say if its good or not,but was told it was good.The car needs basically to be finished,a motor,the right floor pan,and left side floor pan,and the center trunk pan.The outside window chrome,and front grille,and some interior pieces,(rug,headliner,package tray,rear seat,and door panels,dash pad),its a nice car that just needs finished,and it wont take that awful much to finish it.Have clear title,it is also a air conditoned car,asking $7000 OBO,e-mail me for the details,or call 724-472-5359..thank you.
i may consider a partial and cash or an even up trade for a 90's firebird or trans am..or a mustang or camaro z-28..or corvette or possibly a speed boat such as a jet boat or a dodge or chevy/gmc 4x4 truck..or 426 hemi parts of equal value...or an even up trade for something of equal value with a sports car or 4x4 truck or ?....or anything else you may have that would intrest me....willing to do some wheeling and dealing...

Auto Transport Service
Back