• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 RR Shoulder Belt storage

Chi Town Runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone post a photo of how the elastic strap that snaps to the retainer in the headliner and stores the shoulder belt is attached to the shoulder belt?

Thanks

each end of the elastic is sewn to the belt to form a loop. then at the end of the loop the two pieces are lined up and the snap goes through both pieces to form a sort of a triangle
AC8E589F-2B74-4C21-B02D-148687FE1350.jpeg

Last edited:
I just bought some elastic to redo mine, guys at a local leather shop are doing the sewing, Beekeeper, when it's not snapped in place, how long is the elastic?

I just bought some elastic to redo mine, guys at a local leather shop are doing the sewing, Beekeeper, when it's not snapped in place, how long is the elastic?

I don’t have the measurement handy but it will vary with the type and thickness elastic used.
Best thing to do is install the shoulder belt and the snap that screws to the roof then clip the belt on the visor storage clip and get a measurement on how much tension it needs to hold the tag end of the belt tight.

..and when you're not driving the car, move that snap to the other male snap that is on the actual belt so the elastic isn't stretched!
beerestoration2019part2 084.JPG

beerestoration2019part2 080.JPG

Does anyone have a suggestion where I can find an original or correct repop 68 Coronet RT front seatbelts in blue? Also...have a buddy seat. Does that classify me as a bench seat as far as seatbelts are concerned ? None came with the car so I am flying blind.

thanks in advance!
Matt

belt1 003.jpg
belt1 004.jpg
Does that classify me as a bench seat as far as seatbelts are concerned ?
If you are asking if there should be 3 seat belts with a buddy seat, I don't know what the legal answer is, but my car came with a buddy seat and 3 seat belts. When restoring my car, I left the center front belts out, as I also went from automatic to 4 speed, which makes it virtually impossible to have three people in the front seat. Belts became mandatory on 1/1/68, which made them not mandatory on early build cars (from the first car of the new model year built, until cars assembled after the new year). The law said "at all seating positions" which means buddy seat cars were required to have 3 belts for front passengers. Here is how Mopar advertised belts for 1968 Coronets (see above). However, you could have optionally ordered belts and harnesses on 1968 model year cars assembled in 1967 (see above). My car was built Oct. 10, 1967. It came with front and rear center belts, but no harnesses. Since my car came with 6 belts, the center front and rear were ordered optionally.

Last edited:
Thank you Mike.
My dilemma.....the buddy seat is really too small to seat anyone and is just a cool armrest. However, I have tried to be as correct with this car as possible. since a set of bucket seat seatbelts do not have the middle belt, I think I am safe to assume they used a bench seat set from the factory.....? I want to pull the trigger on a nice set of belts and don’t wanna get the wrong ones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

E07A2798-8815-4D57-8152-56946FCADBD0.jpeg
A62D8491-45A3-4531-8737-B71D7719FA98.jpeg
35638AE4-5828-44A5-8026-2C89C70B554D.jpeg
B31F4137-B430-45C4-AF58-1CA1390F00E4.jpeg
If you bought a set of three belts from a bench seat car you would be all set. I do believe The outboard male belts came two different ways. One-way was just the belt itself, the other was with a retractor. Also there were belt keepers on the bottom front of the buckets and the rear seat. These were plastic male ends that you attached the female belts to in order to keep them neat when not in use. There was no such feature for the front middle belts. I have the front Retractors on my car from the factory. I have also added retractors on the rear seat male belts.

Last edited:
Thanks! Do you happen to have a pic of your front seat and the plastic male end retainer location?

Matt

460D788F-B5F6-465B-924D-ABAFC78B25BD.jpeg
FB9B96C3-0D2B-4624-8F74-B579C3B13C82.jpeg
There are holes in the frame of the seat that are for the screws that hold on the retainers. Classic industries and I’m sure other companies also sell the retainers.

Auto Transport Service
Back