• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 TRW power steering pump help

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
OK I have what I believe to be a TRW pump on my Charger. I bought the brackets from Megaparts to use this pump and it doesn't really fit that well. I had to dent the reservoir in two spots on the back to clearance it and oblong the holes. The pulley still doesnt seem to line up that well. ANyone have any pics of the TRW pump to confirm? Mine has the long slot on back of reservoir and the hex key on the shaft for the pump. I don't know why I had t modify this thing to work. Anyone got any ideas? Factory brackets to use to work better maybe?

engine.jpg

No experience with their bracket, I used one from classic Ind when I converted to a Saginaw pump with no problems, May just be my old eyes but from the pic it looks like their bracket sets the pump higher than normal ? Belt looks like its real close to the water pump pulley ?

This is a 68 TRW pump for comparison.....How far is the belt off?

156732-460e4ac5915d46c2e021ffd93e7db228.jpg

995B0021-BCFA-4489-8CF6-4078B9238C27.jpeg
This is a 68 TRW pump for comparison.....How far is the belt off?

View attachment 707880

I just went out and put a bar behind the bracket and pried forward. It’s a lot better now. I believe the bracket was bent back too much so I may be able to pull the pulley forward a bit on the shaft and make it work. That housing on yours sure does look smaller in diameter than mine.

No experience with their bracket, I used one from classic Ind when I converted to a Saginaw pump with no problems, May just be my old eyes but from the pic it looks like their bracket sets the pump higher than normal ? Belt looks like its real close to the water pump pulley ?

Yea the belts are always pretty close to the fan pulley. Saginaw pumps are a lot easier to identify and get parts for. These damn TRW and FEDERAL pumps are hard to source parts and which is which combinations.[/QUOTE]

Late response but TRW had 2 pumps in 67-68 time frame for Mopar. One is the .96L capacity version with solid shaft and reservoir can size of 4 5/8" ID. That is the pump your Charger should have. The second one was the Large TRW pump 1.20L with the Hex shaft and 5 1/8" ID. This would be a C body or larger car type pump.

If your charger is a 69 or up, you probably should have a Fed pump. So you issue may be brackets and pully type with this Large Version TRW pump (hex shaft).

Auto Transport Service
Back