• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Unsilenced Air Cleaner Finish

Macdon221

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
Good Day,

For the master restorers out there....

Is there a process out there than can mimic, as close as possible, the original wrinkle finish on the round unsilenced air cleaners?

I do know about the wrinkle spay finish, power coat, etc....but the die hards say that you can really tell the difference in these processes compared to original. So is there a process that someone has used to get even closer to original?

I have looked very closely at the nicksgarage air cleaner site. The "early" 68 round unsilenced aircleaner with the notches and the silenced dual snorkel air cleaner (I have one) seems to be much more "heavy" wrinkle finish compared to the finish on the later 68 and 69 round unslienced ones...am I correct?

Also does anyone have any close up pics or the finish on an original late 68/69 round unsilenced aircleaner?

Thanks

Macdon221

No photos of OE,
IMG_2871.jpg
but I refinished mine by rattle can. Spray it on heavy and use a hair dryer on hi to give it more wrinkle.

For what ever reason they do not photograph well. Looks way better in person.
This photo the air cleaner color looks way off but in person it matches the valve covers dead on.
IMG_2800.jpg

I chose to add this black wrinkle powder to my arsenal since it most closely resembles the factory finish. I have used it for dozens of customers on daily drivers all the way to world-renowned "famous" rides, including a set of Commando valve covers for the Technical Director of the International Chrysler Collectors Association's Dart Charger. It's very popular!
Screenshot_2020-04-03-12-42-27.png
Screenshot_2020-02-19-17-21-36.png
Screenshot_2019-09-21-10-26-46-1.png
Screenshot_2019-09-21-10-27-52.png
terry-wastell-air-cleaner-paul-linstead-jensens-bodywork-004_orig.jpg
FB_IMG_1544322361923.jpg

493 Mike, Sure, but I just drive it around like a regular car anymore.

I used teh Eastwood stuff on my 67 440 air cleaner a few years back. Turned out perfect. I'll add a pic in a bit

The CudaChick is the way to go if you want the best looking parts out there !

Good Day,

For the master restorers out there....

Is there a process out there than can mimic, as close as possible, the original wrinkle finish on the round unsilenced air cleaners?

I do know about the wrinkle spay finish, power coat, etc....but the die hards say that you can really tell the difference in these processes compared to original. So is there a process that someone has used to get even closer to original?

I have looked very closely at the nicksgarage air cleaner site. The "early" 68 round unsilenced aircleaner with the notches and the silenced dual snorkel air cleaner (I have one) seems to be much more "heavy" wrinkle finish compared to the finish on the later 68 and 69 round unslienced ones...am I correct?

Also does anyone have any close up pics or the finish on an original late 68/69 round unsilenced aircleaner?

Thanks

Macdon221
Funny enough but my 69 dual snorkel looked to be chrome from factory (well thats debatable) but needed re chroming so i went wrinkle finish.It was way too expensive to redo in chrome & i like the black better anyway.Anyone know if this was common or just an r/t se option

Funny enough but my 69 dual snorkel looked to be chrome from factory (well thats debatable) but needed re chroming so i went wrinkle finish.It was way too expensive to redo in chrome & i like the black better anyway.Anyone know if this was common or just an r/t se option

I don't even see it as debatable... Someone chromed it after it left the factory....

Was there ever a unsilenced air cleaner that was dealer installed in chrome from MP

Was there ever a unsilenced air cleaner that was dealer installed in chrome from MP

Yes, the standard unsilenced air cleaner was available through M/P in chrome or wrinkle finish for many years...

Auto Transport Service
Back