• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 440 stock valve covers w/1.6 rockers?

uk-maxie

Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,
We've just got our 69 Sport Satellite back on the road after 4 years. Now got a Koffel 493 in there, fairly mild, but still made 605 hp and 687 lbft on their dyno! All along we asked that it be easily streetable and stock-looking. So far it feels very useable in traffic and at highway speeds, and we've managed to keep it pretty much stock-looking.
To that end we said we wanted to fit steel valve covers. They weren't keen because of the trouble they've had getting them to seal well, so they supplied the engine with MP cast ally covers. Before fitting the engine, we had it repainted and fitted the valve covers we've had for a few years and had used on our previous warmed-over 440.
They seemed to be sealed well on the cyl heads but it wasnt until we noticed some oil leaking out of the OEM style breather/filler cap, and dripping onto the front of the driver-side manifold that we found that the covers didnt have any baffles in. We think they may have been removed by the previous engine builder in case, or because they interfered with the aftermarket 1.6 ratio rockers he'd fitted.
Now we have different 1.6 roller rockers and we're finding that there's not much room for baffles in the stock valve covers. The top of the rockers are 2.625" (67mm) above the surface of the cyl head where the gasket mounts. There's only 2.95" (75mm) from this surface to the inside, top of the valve covers. So we only have 0.315" (8mm) to get a baffle in and allow some clearance above the rockers.
I guess we only need, say, 1/8" clearance above the rockers but i dont know how close to the top of the covers the baffles can be?
We're thinking someone else must have been in this situation - how about the F.A.S.T. guys?
I see on their rules they are allowed to fit a max of 2x gaskets which must be to give a little more space under there. I cant imagine they are using stock pressed-steel type rockers?!
I've noticed later ('70-on) covers have a taller section across most of their length but they also have a different filler/breather/pcv layout, so I'd rather stick with the '69 style.

Anyone come across this problem, and maybe found a solution?

Grateful for any tips :thumbsup:

P1080368 - Copy.JPG DSCF6978.JPG DSCF7884.JPG

Last edited:
The ratio should not make a difference. The rocker arm adjuster is what will hit, if anything. My pro magnums don't hit my baffles at .600" lift, but I've had other Brands that did.

I would get new covers, put the on, if the hit the baffle, they will leave a telltale. Then either dimple or drill a hole at that location.

I had a different sort of problem on mine, bottom lip of the covers getting into the intake. My fix was using a composite (black) gasket, that was much thicker than the stock cork. Think they were Fel-pro.

The ratio should not make a difference. The rocker arm adjuster is what will hit, if anything. My pro magnums don't hit my baffles at .600" lift, but I've had other Brands that did.

I would get new covers, put the on, if the hit the baffle, they will leave a telltale. Then either dimple or drill a hole at that location.

thanks - yes i figured the top of the adjuster would be the highest point but when i asked the question the info i was given was that the highest point of the rocker is 2.625 up from the gasket face...
But if we get another pair of covers with baffles in (i'm hoping to get a decent used set over here in the UK to save time), we can just see where the interference is, if any, then get the tools out!

Can I ask - what valve covers do you have? Same year / type as ours?

Last edited:
I used 2 gaskets glued together. Been on my engine for 12 years. No leaks.

Thanks furyus. Was that to gain extra clearance over the rockers etc? If so, was that extra gasket thickness all that was needed?

What I noticed useing a set of Cal Customs was the location of the breather and pcv was between the rockers.
20180622_114447.jpg

The wider baffle under the factory valve cover apparently interferes with higher lift rockers or roller rockers. My breather doesn't have a hose going to the air cleaner but it does have a built in baffle.
20180622_114417.jpg

On the other VC I found this baffle to use for the pcv. I'm not sure if they make one larger for the breather. It works great.
20170529_150605.jpg
20170529_150321.jpg
20170529_154155.jpg

love that old school

Can I ask - what valve covers do you have? Same year / type as ours?

I have 3 sets of factory valve covers. 67, 68, and mid 70s. The baffle is in the same location, plus or minus. Even on the taller, later model valve covers

Auto Transport Service
Back