• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 A12 no power at all, just dropped in new engine

justavillain

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
ive had a fight and a half with my car and this is the last hurtle. We event to crank it over to check oil pressure and oil it up before start and there is 0 electrical.

We did have to replace a few wires that there brittle or corroded. Here's the info I have tried so far...

1)New battery 12.6v on meter
2)Battery ground to head (stock location) and to hood pin stud ( no change )
3) battery ground to head, additional ground strap to hood pin stud ( no change )
4) confirmed power at MSD box, pos and neg
5) checked fuses ( all good )
6) firewall to engine ground strap in place( didn't try a new location though)
7) removed the neutral safety switch
8) arched the wires on the starter IT TURNED OVER(I didn't catch the light on the MSD to see if it recorded signal from the dizzy
9) might have been more I forgot about we spent 3 hours in crappy MI heat trying to figure this out.

There is no lights that come on and 0 power, no headlights, dome, tails, turns NOTHING. But the starter kicked over when we arched it.

I know it's something silly/simple but we lost all ideas. Looking to the brain trust that is FBBO!

Also for posterity I will attach a photo of the engine bay as we have it now I do have some other pics of stuff if needed but they might not be super clear.

E6C08027-93F5-4CC9-8122-2C21D7772BF7.jpeg

Did you look at bulk hulk connector. Any power inside car at fuses.

Is the fuseable link hooked up from the firewall starter solenoid to the firewall wiring bukhead? If so.. is the link blown?

Is the fuseable link hooked up from the firewall starter solenoid to the firewall wiring bukhead? If so.. is the link blown?

I did not check that and honestly I didn't see what looked like a fuseable link. but would this stop all electrical in the car?

Edit note: I was thinking of the ballast resistor

Last edited:

I did an image search and found what it's location is and it was checked

The fusible link was replaced at some point and we did check it, it used a barrel fuse and it is good. It had no change.

Fuseable link is ALL power to the interior of the car.. and of course that includes the ignition switch. The heavy Purple wire..
beerestoration2017 1891.JPG

I'm pretty sure that is my link, it was blown, we figured from arching the starter, and possible that it popped again.

AEE6E51B-4DA3-42CC-97E2-06523D79A653.jpeg

Once had amp gauge cook but think I still had power for interior. Car wouldn't start. Had to do some creative wiring to get it running for a few days. Don't think it's your problem.

If it popped again you have a severe short somewhere and I would go straight to the AMP gauge.
Did you check for any melted or broken wires??

We did a lot of looking at the firewall wires and nothing stuck out as hot or melted, no signs of it either.

I can't check anything until Monday unfortunately because it's at my cousins shop and he's out of town for the weekend.

There wasn't even a flicker or sound of anything just straight silence.

I hate to ask as he is out of town, but did you disconnect the battery?

Doh I was looking at Dads picture... and mentioned the NSS. Disregard this post.

We did a lot of looking at the firewall wires and nothing stuck out as hot or melted, no signs of it either.

I can't check anything until Monday unfortunately because it's at my cousins shop and he's out of town for the weekend.

There wasn't even a flicker or sound of anything just straight silence.

Time to break out the test light.Start at the starter:rolleyes:
If I were nimble I would get up inside the dash to check the regulator gauge and look for anything unusual before getting to far into it.

Sounds like the power wire from the fused link to the inside dash was loose. It's been repaired and fired right up.

Still no hazards but all other lights work. I'm guessing the relay is missing. But I have both turns on their own

For the hazards, maybe you know this already, but the turn signal arm needs to be activated when the hazard button is turned on.

Sounds like the power wire from the fused link to the inside dash was loose. It's been repaired and fired right up.

Still no hazards but all other lights work. I'm guessing the relay is missing. But I have both turns on their own

Auto Transport Service
Back