• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger electrical/light help

Bighouse

Local time
3:58 AM
Reaction score
I’ve just put power to my charger which I have done a lot of cutting and welding work to right after I got it. I have a project thread called 1969 Charger 340.

I have no turn signals, hazards or instrument lights. All else is functioning, park/stop, dome, hi & lo beams. All the bulbs are new. Rear light harness is also new.

What I’ve found so far;

1- No power at either side of the instrument light fuse (the first fuse on the right) the others have power on both ends

2- No power to any of the pins on the turn signal switch connector with the key on.

It has got late on me and no I do not have a wiring diagram. If someone could share one that would be awesome. I plan on cleaning the bulkhead connectors and looking into that tomorrow.

Car has power windows (working) and AC. If that makes a difference

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks everyone

I stumbled on some diagrams here digging around.

For your dash light issue try bypassing the dimmer switch (in your cluster)
Unplug your dash light dimmer switch and jump the center terminal wire (tan) to the one below it (black). with your headlight switch in either 'park' or 'on' you should now have dash lights (if one of the wires is actually getting juice)

I’ve just put power to my charger which I have done a lot of cutting and welding work to right after I got it. I have a project thread called 1969 Charger 340.

I have no turn signals, hazards or instrument lights. All else is functioning, park/stop, dome, hi & lo beams. All the bulbs are new. Rear light harness is also new.

What I’ve found so far;

1- No power at either side of the instrument light fuse (the first fuse on the right) the others have power on both ends

2- No power to any of the pins on the turn signal switch connector with the key on.

It has got late on me and no I do not have a wiring diagram. If someone could share one that would be awesome. I plan on cleaning the bulkhead connectors and looking into that tomorrow.

Car has power windows (working) and AC. If that makes a difference

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks everyone
https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/1969Wiring.zip

I just pulled the connection at the back of the dimmer switch and no power on all 3 terminals.

Where does power for this circuit originate from?

And what could be in common with turn sig, hazard, dash lights?

Last edited:
I have a feeling I’m chasing a tan wire thru the firewall. I found some burned up connections.

What do you experts recommend?

My engine harness has been messed with, other than that the under dash and everything is really nice.

Can I clean this up, tighten up the connections and use this? I think that’s what I’m going to do for now to get to the point where I can verify it all works
D2FED71D-B212-4402-8FD2-F53D293D2D67.jpeg

I just pulled the connection at the back of the dimmer switch and no power on all 3 terminals.

Where does power for this circuit originate from?

And what could be in common with turn sig, hazard, dash lights?
Common to all is Pink wire coming off the fuse box. Goes to flasher unit, brake lamp switch (which feeds turn signal switch (White), B2 on headlight switch. With a lack of power to B2 you shouldn't have parking / tail lamps (unless wiring has been hacked into). And never assume all are related! Has the dash wiring / fuse box wiring been modified?

I have a feeling I’m chasing a tan wire thru the firewall. I found some burned up connections.

My engine harness has been messed with, other than that the under dash and everything is really nice.

Can I clean this up, tighten up the connections and use this? I think that’s what I’m going to do for now to get to the point where I can verify it all worksView attachment 1320260
Yikes! Problem found..... Repair the known issue first. One looks melted?

Can I clean this up, tighten up the connections and use this? I think that’s what I’m going to do for now to get to the point where I can verify it all worksView attachment 1320260
Not sure if you're looking for verification,,, but that's sh!t.

Common to all is Pink wire coming off the fuse box. Goes to flasher unit, brake lamp switch (which feeds turn signal switch (White), B2 on headlight switch. With a lack of power to B2 you shouldn't have parking / tail lamps (unless wiring has been hacked into). And never assume all are related! Has the dash wiring / fuse box wiring been modified?
No the fuse box is beautiful, I pulled the glove box, and I haven’t seen anything out of place under the dash. The headlight buzzer is missing. That’s it.

Last edited:
You can soak the terminals to clean them.
Was it vinegar, then a baking soda/water?
Can't remember

Made a new wire to replace the one at the worst connection, connected it before slipping the harness connector over it.

I cleaned them all and tightened the loose ones.

Back at it

7A123643-B388-4164-81A0-61D0C440C78E.jpeg

I’ve got front hazards now. Little by little I guess

Old stiff switches unused since 1989 seem to be the issue. The headlight switch decided to send power out to the dimmer switch, I only noticed when the dome light came on using the dimmer.

I jumped the dimmer as recommended and have most of my gauge lights and power thru that fuse.
Just like the hazard lights started after working the switch, I then got all 4 hazards once I pulled the steering wheel and cleaned the turn signal switch.

Still no turn signals, I need to figure out how power is supplied to the switch.

The signal switch does have a broken cancel cam.
448D7D6B-2385-4CF7-BBCE-C39A5F94EBF9.jpeg
F2C0448A-9B16-4165-A737-3BAA282650E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back