• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Charger hood signal indicators

FrnkNsteen

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Question for you guys. The shop working on my car is getting ready to paint, but I have a question...

On the hood, where the turn signal indicators sit, I have seen decals to black out the leading edge of the mock vents. I'm wondering what they were like from the factory? Were they painted satin black, or did they use decals.

Wondering if I need to have the shop paint those areas black and mask them before painting, or if the factory used decals to black that out?

1969-charger-hood-vent.jpg

The ones on my 69 charger with one repaint from the mid-80s are decals.

I had an unmolested 68 in the mid seventies that did not black out the fake vents at all. At least I think it was all original.

So maybe the stickers were something they did in the aftermarket? Strange that the hood has indents pressed in if nothing went there!

I'm even having a hard time even finding pictures. Mine didn't have them, but it had been repainted by the time I owned it.

Found my answer over on another Charger site. The factory cars had decals blacking out the impressions in the hood (next to the indicators). Wasn't clear if it was on all Chargers, or just the ones that had the signal indicator option. I was told Year One and Performance Car Graphics offer them.

Thought I'd share what I learned in case others were interested.

Here are some pictures from a thread I saw

hood signal black out 1.jpg NOS signals.jpg turn sig front4.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back