• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger project

ETD66SS

Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Been in market for a 68 Charger for a while, came across this 69 on CL the other day: https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/69-charger/6670520856.html

Guy says it was a 383 2bbl but now a 440 727. If the car is all there, is that the going rate? Seems like these days everyone starts out at around $18k no matter what shape the car is in.

I assume it needs a bunch of sheet metal and the interior is trashed, but have yet to go look at it in person. If it was a 68, I'd probably have already gone and taken a look.

Is the fact that it was a 383 to start with rather than a 318 mean anything in terms of value since it's a non #'s car?

1st thing to know is any 2nd Gen Charger is in hot demand. As it's a non # car price seems good but the description lacks a ton of info, so hard to really give a good answer.

1st thing to know is any 2nd Gen Charger is in hot demand. As it's a non # car price seems good but the description lacks a ton of info, so hard to really give a good answer.

I understand they are in demand. If I go look at it, what would make it worth the asking price?

1) Should the car be complete? No missing trim, interior, etc.
2) Should it run & drive?
3) Assuming the trunk is rotted out, should the frame rails be solid?
4) Should the interior be useable for the asking price, or is it assumed it needs a completely new interior?

That kind of thing I guess... I'm a Chevelle/GM guy, I can look at a 70 Chevelle for instance and know exactly what it's worth, can't do that with Mopar's yet, so just looking for some thoughts.

It just seems that what I see on CL and eBay is a ~$18k asking price for any 2nd gen Charger project car, no matter how **** the condition is. There seems to be a bit of Mecum Auctionitis in some of these ads.

It really comes down to what you are looking to do with it. If you like the Chargers and want to build it for yourself, that's one thing, but you are going to put a LOT of money into it if you are looking to rebuild/restore it (as you probably know).

Me personally,.... I'd be a little leery of a guy who puts one picture in the ad, no description of condition, and throws a price of "$18K Firm" on it. If it is close enough to you to go look at it, it never hurts to go look. If it is a standard Charger with no special options and not numbers matching, you will likely put more into it than it will be worth, though the '68-'70 Chargers are incredibly popular and pulling good prices, even for non matching standard cars. Big block helps, even if it's a 383 2bbl. Not much to look at, in regards to the number of pictures, but the hanging rocker trim signifies it could be an S/E car. That helps as they really didn't make as many S/E's as they did standard Chargers or R/T's. I believe the rocker trim was one of the distinguishing features of the S/E. That and leather inserts on the seats, stainless trim on the pedals, and woodgrain dash bezel. (My Charger I am getting rebuilt is a 69 S/E that was originally a 383 2bbl).

In regards to your questions:
1) Yes,... you want it to be complete as possible, though you will like be replacing a lot of components anyway, or at least having them redone. Having all the trim would be nice, but that depends on condition. If it's there, but all dented up, you will spend a bunch to have it straightened and polished, or end up replacing it. Fortunately pretty much all of it is available. Interior is somewhat important, especially the dash components as I haven't been able to find some things like the center A/C vents.
2) Running and driving always helps. That allows you to work on the mechanicals first to get it reliable enough to get it out on the road and have fun with it while you are fixing things here and there. If you are planning to rebuild the whole car though, you'll likely rebuild it all anyway, but at least if it runs and drives, you'll know you aren't missing a bunch of parts.
3) Check the frame rails closely. Rotted floor pans and trunk can signal rust issues in the frame rails, but not necessarily. My trunk and floor pans were shot, but mine was an undercoat car and the frame rails turned out to be solid and relatively clean. The shop working on mine had to replace some of the floor supports, but the rails themselves were good.
4) A good interior that can be cleaned up is worth a lot. Pricing on my full interior soft goods (Just the seats, door panels, upper door pads, carpet, and headliner) is adding up to about $5-$6K (List price anyway,... Hoping to get a good discount from a show or something).

In my opinion,... After seeing what these are going for.... If the car runs and drives, the interior is nice enough to be cleaned up and useable, at least for now, and there are no major rust issues, I would say the car is worth what he is asking. I've learned that metal work is key. That is BY FAR the most costly part of the rebuild, especially if you will be having someone else do it!!

What I would like to do with the car:

Not start a full blown restoration right away, did that with my 66 Chevelle, never got to drive it much, and the restoration is going on 20 years old.

So what I'd do with this Charger is clean it up the best I could, get it running reliably, maybe murder out the body and bad chrome with cheap black satin paint, and drive it until all my other projects are done.

Then some day, I'd like to restore, likely resto-mod for newer suspensions & steering, so not a concours resto.

I'm am real close to where the car is listed, so the single pic no description ad is not a huge problem for me if I go look at it. Only problem with single pic no description ad's with FIRM in them can sometimes give an indication of the seller's (bad) attitude.

Last edited:
Agreed. Considering what you want to do with it, I would go look at it and see what kind of shape it is in. If the metal all looks good and rust is minimal, interior is useable, and it runs and drives, it may work well for what you are wanting to do, and if all those things are true,... I think he is in the ballpark of what it's worth.

Let me know if you get it, and what kind of condition it's in. I have a bunch of parts from my Charger that I will never use that aren't in good enough condition to use for the rebuild I am doing, but would work well for a murdered out driver like you are thinking of. Things like pitted mirrors that could be sanded out and painted satin black. I've got black door panels and upper door pads that aren't perfect, but would work for what you are doing. They aren't worth much and I'd send them to you for the price of shipping if you wanted them.

Agreed. Considering what you want to do with it, I would go look at it and see what kind of shape it is in. If the metal all looks good and rust is minimal, interior is useable, and it runs and drives, it may work well for what you are wanting to do, and if all those things are true,... I think he is in the ballpark of what it's worth.

Let me know if you get it, and what kind of condition it's in. I have a bunch of parts from my Charger that I will never use that aren't in good enough condition to use for the rebuild I am doing, but would work well for a murdered out driver like you are thinking of. Things like pitted mirrors that could be sanded out and painted satin black. I've got black door panels and upper door pads that aren't perfect, but would work for what you are doing. They aren't worth much and I'd send them to you for the price of shipping if you wanted them.

Thanks for your help, trying to setup a time to go look at it.

Go on ebay and search for 1969 Chargers. Then go on the left hand side and select completed listings. You can see what has sold, for how much, and the condition. I wouldn't pay 18k for anything with a rotted frame unless it was a Hemi or a V code car, which you aren't looking for.

What part of NY are you in? I know of a 68 in PA that I looked at probably 20 years ago. It was for sale at the time but the owner couldn't get what they were asking for it (5k) so they decided to keep it but they haven't done anything with it. At the time it was in decent shape and ran/drove. 318/auto car. I imagine if you showed up with cash you could take it home.

Go on ebay and search for 1969 Chargers. Then go on the left hand side and select completed listings. You can see what has sold, for how much, and the condition. I wouldn't pay 18k for anything with a rotted frame unless it was a Hemi or a V code car, which you aren't looking for.

What part of NY are you in? I know of a 68 in PA that I looked at probably 20 years ago. It was for sale at the time but the owner couldn't get what they were asking for it (5k) so they decided to keep it but they haven't done anything with it. At the time it was in decent shape and ran/drove. 318/auto car. I imagine if you showed up with cash you could take it home.

I have done the completed listings thing, and have been looking in the for sale section of this website for 2+ years now.

Keep seeing stuff like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Dodge...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I see wrecks of cars going for $16-$20k...

Here is link to pics from my 68 project. I marked all the as-bought pictures as before....jpg. I paid 17k for mine April of 2017. Almost all the rear metal had to be replaced, including trunk gutter and rear window channel repairs. It did run, but was not driveable, bad brakes and freeze plug leaks. As others have said, trim and interior pieces hold a lot of value, just assume the rear metal is bad. AMD installation center quoted me 8.5k parts and labor for the rear metal replacement. I found a local guy that's exceptionally good, so I went that route.
https://app.box.com/s/4fg3rllx4yy2ut75czpusxo06bzgjxc9

I just got back from looking at the car. Based on what you guys have said, he's not far off on price, I think he's added ~$2k just for the hell of it.

It was hard to tell the overall condition as it was half torn apart and the inside of the car was full of parts. The seats were pretty much destroyed, but the dash was the best part of the interior. The dash pad especially, no cracks at all. It looks like the original color is a very light yellow or beige with a light tan interior. The seats looked cloth to me, not sure if that sounds correct. It was a bucket seat center console car.

It has the typical rust (from what I've read), but it was not as bad as I expected, the seller seems like a really cool guy and offered to clean up the car and get it on his 2 post lift so I can really take a good look at everything. He told me all the frame rails are very solid.

It looks like the previous owner to him installed a new full floor and a drivers qtr, but knowing how **** I am I'd probably find issues with the metal work and want to redo it, as it didn't look like top notch work.

Car was a vinyl top car, and though the entire roof skin does not need to be replaced, If I was restoring it, I'd probably do a whole new roof skin, front windshield channel is full of holes too.

By my quick glance and estimate, I'm betting $5-$6k minimum in AMD sheet metal to start with on the body. The interior is kind of in shambles. He said the only trim missing was the lower stainless corner trim for the rear window, and the qtr extensions (not sure if that's what they're called on Mopars)

The 440 & 727 I guess is out of '73 Imperial.

He actually has 2 69's, both originally 383 2bbl, both now with 440 & 727's.

I assume the car will be sold rather quickly, though he did comment he's been trying to sell it for quite some time.

I need to think about it, but I have to say I'm not all gung-ho about it to be honest. If it was a 68, I'd probably really be considering doing something with it.

Sounds like it is pretty good condition, relatively speaking. My advice,... Even though it checked out pretty well and the seller seems to be a decent guy, be sure it's what you want to do. Your comment that you are "not that gung-ho about it" has me thinking that the rebuild could become a chore instead of something that you would enjoy.

I'm of the opinion that if I don't get excited when I see something and think, "Oh, I like that and want it", .... it probably isn't for me. These projects take a lot of time and money and jumping into a project that you're really not into doesn't usually turn out well. We've all had those impulse buys where you're excited about something, then think "What did I just do". If you're already having second thoughts,.... I'd walk away.

I hear what you're saying, I have a 66 Chevelle project going on 20 years. I don't want to start another project until that one is done, I'd just like whatever I get to be drivable. This car needs a bit of work before I can get it driving.

Auto Transport Service
Back