• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger Sheetmetal Question

xs-ivv

Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am trying to install a rear cross rail on my 69 charger project and I am running into fitment problems. I made the mistake of buying a Sherman cross rail and now I am not sure if it has all of the proper contours or if and where it needs to be modified. Does anyone have a pic of the top of the crossrail where the frame rails attach? Any help/tips are appreciated!

20211217_185407.jpg 20211217_185421.jpg 20211217_185336.jpg

Currently the crossrail is sitting too low. There is an indentation in the top of the rail for #1 and #2. Should there be an indentation for #3 as well?

Is it possible that number 3 goes under the rear cross rail. And number 1 and 2 are on top?

Thanks for the idea. No the lip on the top comes out towards the rear so I think all 3 tabs must sit on top?

20211217_202528.jpg

Thats a great article for what I am doing right now thanks! It looks like they have bent tab #3 up to allow the rail to come up. I will give that a try and see how it goes.

Ok if you pause this video as soon as it starts you can see the frame rail and the shakle hanger both sit on top. This is a 68 charger known as General Mayhem.... But the 70 may be different.

You nailed it. Tab #3 was just bent down. I bent it upwards clamped it in place then hammered it back down and now its sitting right. Thanks :thumbsup:

20211217_205207.jpg

Yea he has a ton of them and an uncanny knack for finding chargers.. Bastard he is lol...

Now that's not nice! I resemble that!
Its just jealousy coming out. You literally cannot find anything like this here. Seems out west they are plentiful and easy pickin... Here if you find one its got so much rust you might as well scrap it.

Same thing around here most cars are 90% rust and 10% bondo. And the seller still wants an arm and a leg for them!

Auto Transport Service
Back