• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger Sound Deadening, Dyna Matt?

poopdeckpappy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
I am looking to get info on the Dyna Matt sound insulation. Not really worried about price, but looking to find out how much I am going to need. Any and all info is appreciated. I've seen a couple threads on this before. Feel free to tag me if you want. Thanks.

Look around, I think they make kits for specific vehicles.

Check ebay, I've been looking for one for my '63, but don't see it. Yours should be listed...

I bought mine on Amazon and it was very reasonable. Dynamat

I’m using Kilmat 80mil. If you read the comparison article above it’s a third of the price of dynamat with equivalent performance, doesn’t stink and blocks heat. That article convinced me. I’m about half way done and it’s pretty easy to install. Buy a lot of seam tape. I actually use aluminum furnace tape.

On this subject of sound deadening with these materials, does the material trap moisture, where attached or glued down, if you are in a climate with extreme change, from winter to summer ? I know the metal in my garage will really sweat, after a long cold spell, below freezing, when we get the quick warm-ups to say 50*F. Just wondering if anyone has found this to be a problem with trapped moisture, and later corrosion or break down ?

There are several good sources for sound insulating products including spray-on and decided to go with Dyna. Cost for the kit was around $150 and covered pretty much what I had thought could use it. I used some other materials adhesive duct insulation in the doors and rear quarters. Made a significant difference but with the loud exhaust now (3" with headers thinking of less noisy mufflers) and being a drop top now I hear the wind noise better. I spent a lot of time prepping the floor for this some 3 coats of primer and ensuring a good coating around holes/drain plugs.

20170701_161930.jpg 20170701_080621.jpg

I used Eastwood's Rust Bullet Rust Inhibitor Paint on the El Camino after wire brushing the entire floor. I capped it off with Eastwood's Rust Bullet BlackShell rust preventative and protective coating paint. It's overkill but that floor will never rust from the top side. Let's face it, these cars are not water tight and/or get liquids spilled on the floor.

By the way, you do not have to cover the entire metal surface with sound deadening material. I think the recommendation is about 2/3 or so. Once the carpet is don nobody will see it.

Auto Transport Service
Back