• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger

1968mopar

Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
was thier ever a charger made in 69 with a 68 body?????
is the #s on the core support and trunk lid rail an order# or the end of the vin#???:confused:

I take it you're missing the VIN tag ? If it's a '68 and you're missing the motor,trans and broadcast sheet you're SOL.

if you read my second post you might get the ?
but it seems there is not much knowledge on this web site,referring to the ??????.

but it seems there is not much knowledge on this web site,referring to the ??????.

I take issue with that comment. It is YOU that is short on knowledge my friend, as you have been answered correctly. After you read the LOOOONG version of this I think an APPOLOGY to all that responded to your thread is in order MR. SMART ***.

First of all you have not really confirmed if you have a 68 or a 69.

If you have an S.O.# on your rad. support and trunk rail then the car IS a 1968. If you have the last portion of the V.I.N. beginning with the plant code, then it IS a 1969. There are NO exceptions.

The sales order and it's number were the first document in the life of a car. After it was written it was determined by the corporate office as to which plant it would be produced at depending on which plant built that particular model and was geographically closest to where the car was to be shipped to IF it was predestine for a dealership. At that point the sales order info ( AND the V.I.N. which was assigned at this point ) were input on the IMB computer that generated the IBM card and from that point the plant that was to produce the car picked up this information from the IBM system.

Now, to ANSWER your second questio AGAIN, there is no way to find the ORDER NUMBER on a 1969 without IBM card, broacast sheet, or fender tag. on a 1968 the S.O.# IS on the rad support, trunk rail and the fender tag. The only way to corrolate it with the 1968 V.I.N. is with either the IBM card or broadcast sheet. If the car is a 1967 or older, Chrysler Historical may have the IMB car that could tie the S.O.# to the V.I.N. but they don't have them for anything newer than a 1967.

If you car IS a 1969 and has the partial V.I.N. on the rad, support and trunk lip, it is pretty simple to determine the rest of the V.I.N. IF the car has not been molested. The original engine which will have the full or patial V.I.N. depending on how early or late the car is and which plant it was made at, will tell you what engine will confirm the model designation. There were only four Charger models made in 1969. The standard Charger with up to a 383 4 barrel engine, The R/T that could have either a 440 or Hemi, a Charger 500 with either a 440 or Hemi, and the later Daytona with either a 440 or Hemi.

In 1968 there were only two models, the base Charger and the R/T.

From your post it sounds like you are missing your V.I.N. plate which creates a MUCH bigger problem for you. Below is a copy and paste of something else that is relivant to this problem for you.

IF the car has a title but no V.I.N. ask a local law enforcement offical to check the computer to see if the car is listed as stolen, they will do that for you if you are interested in purchasing a car and want that info. If you get lucky they may be able to tell you if that V.I.N. number is registered to anyone else other than who's name appears on the title. IF it shows up in someone else's name just walk away. If not then if you are interested in buying it make your deal.

AFTER you buy it under no circumstances try and title the car if you state requires a physical inspection comparing the title and V.I.N. plate on the car. If they do and after running their checks and feel satisfied that there has been no monkey business as far as the tag showing up on another car they WILL assign a state issued V.I.N. plate and create a control number for the car that will go into the computer that will be with it for the rest of it's life.

After OR BEFORE you have legal ownership of the car contact www.datatags.com and explain your situation. They will advise you as to what kind of paperwork you will need from the state you want to title it in order for them to make a factory type correct V.I.N. plate for the car.

An EXAMPLE case in Arizona would be to have a specific State form that has to be signed off on by either an officer of the law or an Arizona licensed attorney. You can get the form from the local DMV office, filled it out, give the facts in the essay area of the form, and then arm your self with printed information from books by accepted expert authors on the these cars that spell out the corrolation between the pysical numbers on your car and the title.

In the case of a pre-1968 Mopar where the only corrolation of the factory "hidden numbers" (which are not part of the V.I.N. but rather the Sales Order number) and the V.I.N. are on the broadcast sheet, IBM card, and the original window sticker for the car. Chrysler Historical has MOST of the 67-back IMB card on file and a copy of the card can be obtained from them for a nominal fee. This will show the sales order number as well as the V.I.N. Both the broadcast sheet and the original window still will also show both of these numbers. This information along with support information on where to find the hidden numbers and their meaning will satisfy a law enforcement officer.

Have the law enforcement officer sign his name, badge number and phone number on the form and send it and anything else required to www.datatags.com and you should be good to go.

If you choose to buy the car and have a state issued V.I.N. plate, be prepared to take a big hit on the selling price of the car compared to a like car with a correct tag EVEN with a correct title. Anyone attempting to retag the car later will run into a problem because the cars file will have that control number I mentioned earlier. If you want to have correct paperwork and tag stay away from the local DMV office until you have your new correct tag.

In over 30 years in the car business I have probably seen EVERY nasty title senario there is.

It has a 1969 vin# with a 1968 order# on core and trunk
that was the answer i was looking for
you have to read the ? To understand.
Thanks

is thier anyway to get the order# info to find the real vin#

Yes. If you read 696pack's reply, the dots are connected, but the only thing in or on the car that would tie the two together is a fender tag, or a broadcast sheet.
And as 69 runner replied, 68 used SO # and 69 used the VIN for the "hidden" stampings.

was thier ever a charger made in 69 with a 68 body?????
Not that anyone has ever, ever heard of.. ever.

is the #s on the core support and trunk lid rail an order# or the end of the vin#???:confused:
read 696packs' replay again - along with 1968mopar's reply. The relationship to VIN #'s and SO #'s is explained as well as which year each were present on the body panels you asked about.

:rolling:
Thanks
I'd suggest that someone has either swapped in a 69 dash or at least a 69 VIN tag.
Do these numbers match the fender tag and/or broadcast sheet?
That's what will really matter.... if the fender tag is real and not forged - it happens.
I would hazard a guess that they don't as it is highly unlikely.
Let's suppose they do, though. What is the build date on the fender tag and/or the last digits of the VIN? If they indicate a very early production date, then maybe you've got a MOPAR oddity on your hands.

If you don't have a fender tag or broadcast sheet that ties these two numbers together, then no one is going to go along with the idea of a 69 VIN'd car with 68 SO stamps on the body. It's just too easy to accept that someone swapped in the VIN tag or complete dash.
I'm not saying you're trying to pull anything over on anyone - if you were, you wouldn't be asking, right? I'm just saying what most knowledgeable MOPAR folks are going to look for and ask for when considering such a question.

Thanks

No, YOU have to state the question in a way that people can understand what you are trying to determine, we are NOT mind readers.

Does the car have 1968 features? Like round side parker lights, 68 grille, 68 tail lights?

It sounds to me like someone did a V,I,N, swap with a 1969 V.I.N. on a 1968 body, commonly referred to as a REBODY.

BTW, I still haven't seen an apology for your rudness in a previous post.
MAN UP!

Auto Transport Service
Back