• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet Convertible rocker panel...support steel?

mikedonz

Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
Is this "structural" steel only found in convertibles? For example, when using a "donor" car, it does'nt appear to have this? I'm assuming it needs it for structural support? I do plan on also having frame connectors as well, will those be sufficient or should I have both? (Hope this makes sense) Thanks

Screenshot_20180616-141401_Photos.jpg

Yes, it was/is structural. Most people don't realize how much integrity the roof adds to a car and a convertible would flop round like a wet noodle without the double wall rockers. Hell, they're pretty floppy with the added rocker support.

Frame connectors are always a good idea in terms of rigidity and though you could probably get away with just them, I would want to see the rockers reinforced as well. The good news it doesn't really matter what the reinforcement looks like (square tube etc.) as it's hidden from view by the outer rocker.

I totally agree with post #2, cannot do without the structural steel reinforcements!

I have 2 friends with rotesirie restored B Body Convetibles. 70 Coronet R/T, 64 Fury
The Fury has fully welded subframe connectors. The Coronet exhibits cowl shake at times. The Fury drives like a H/T.
Doug

Yes, that part is for convertibles only and are hard(ish) to find. Too bad that one was cut. It should run almost the full length of the rocker. You'll also need torque boxes as well as (On e-bodies anyway) wheel housing caps. The tops of the wheel house is cut down and capped with an almost flat cover to make room for the convertible mechanism. They are not available as re-pops as far as I know. Damn shame about that being cut...

my hardtop hast the reinforced rocker panel from factory.
Seems like all cars came with it?!

my hardtop hast the reinforced rocker panel from factory.
Seems like all cars came with it?!

I doubt very much we are talking about the same thing. This pic is from a convertible Cuda rocker. If your car has this, it's the most rare hardtop ever... :) it was in convertibles only for lack of the support given by having a roof etc.

AMD-pic-15.jpg

I doubt very much we are talking about the same thing. This pic is from a convertible Cuda rocker. If your car has this, it's the most rare hardtop ever... :) it was in convertibles only for lack of the support given by having a roof etc.

View attachment 782672
yes, I am 100% sure there was a inner structure inside the rocker. I remember it from doing bodywork last year, I welded some parts on the front and very rear of the rocker. I was able to look inside and the reinforcement looked a little bit like zinc plated/galvanized steel.

I shot the rockers with cavity wax a week ago and therefor guided a small hose into the front opening and noticed a resistance after about 5“.

I have 2 friends with rotesirie restored B Body Convetibles. 70 Coronet R/T, 64 Fury
The Fury has fully welded subframe connectors. The Coronet exhibits cowl shake at times. The Fury drives like a H/T.
Doug
I am currently restoring a 70 coronet rt convertible. It is on the rotisserie at the moment so I can still make changes...under what circumstances does your friends RT conv car cowl shake?
Kevin

Normal driving 40-50 mph hitting a bump. It's not severe but you can notice it.
Doug

yes, I am 100% sure there was a inner structure inside the rocker. I remember it from doing bodywork last year, I welded some parts on the front and very rear of the rocker. I was able to look inside and the reinforcement looked a little bit like zinc plated/galvanized steel.

I shot the rockers with cavity wax a week ago and therefor guided a small hose into the front opening and noticed a resistance after about 5“.

Eh, pictures or it didn't happen. :poke:

Resistance after 5" means nothing really. Personally, I've never heard of such a thing. Doesn't mean someone didn't repair your care at some point with a rocker from a convertible. I doubt very much that it's intentional from the factory, but that said, stranger things have happened. Just because it was galvanized also means nothing, all of the metal was at some point I believe.

You could for sake of curiosity put an inspection camera into the cavity and have a look see.

I still maintain, you more than likely do not have that piece inside your rocker. Again, pictures will show reality. Actually, to the possible odd repair, I'd check both sides to be sure.
:drinks:

Last edited:
Eh, pictures or it didn't happen. :poke:

Resistance after 5" means nothing really. Personally, I've never heard of such a thing. Doesn't mean someone didn't repair your care at some point with a rocker from a convertible. I doubt very much that it's intentional from the factory, but that said, stranger things have happened. Just because it was galvanized also means nothing, all of the metal was at some point I believe.

You could for sake of curiosity put an inspection camera into the cavity and have a look see.

I still maintain, you more than likely do not have that piece inside your rocker. Again, pictures will show reality. Actually, to the possible odd repair, I'd check both sides to be sure.
:drinks:

I was able to get a look into the front rocker part with no light in the garage and a little torch. And there’s on both sides the same sheet metal structure and it is a stamped piece of metal, it doesnt appear home made.
It’s my first B body I work on, so no comparison. Your rocker inside is completely empty?

Try to get a small inspection camera to reach into the cavity.

I was able to get a look into the front rocker part with no light in the garage and a little torch. And there’s on both sides the same sheet metal structure and it is a stamped piece of metal, it doesnt appear home made.
It’s my first B body I work on, so no comparison. Your rocker inside is completely empty?

Try to get a small inspection camera to reach into the cavity.

The piece is convertible only. That's a known fact. If it wasn't everyone and their brother would have said so by now. Go look at peoples build threads where they replace rockers. You will NOT find that part in anything but a convertible .

My convertible Cuda' has them.
My Dart does NOT.

If you find a hardtop that has them from the factory, you'd better buy it. There is the off chance that someone put them in your car during previous work, but I can pretty much guarentee they weren't put there by the factory (if they even exist).

Also, the part is NOT "sheet metal", it's plate steel. If you look at the picture above, you'll notice it's about 3/16 (almost 5 mm) thick.

Look here.. (convertible)
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopar-torque-box-medic-saving-mangled-e-body-metal/

A quote from this one (since you don't believe me)
"These large C-channels are on the inside of both rockers on convertible cars only to make up for the support lost from having no roof. In the lower right of the photo note the damage to the splash panel and the wrinkled torque box plate. Somebody must have run over something fairly big?"

And here (hard top)
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/replace-rocker-panels-1971-plymouth-cuda/

If your car has these, then it's a modification someone made, but I seriously doubt they are present.

Last edited:
Is this "structural" steel only found in convertibles? For example, when using a "donor" car, it does'nt appear to have this? I'm assuming it needs it for structural support? I do plan on also having frame connectors as well, will those be sufficient or should I have both? (Hope this makes sense) Thanks

View attachment 616968
20191224_163125.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back