• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet rt interior options

BBANGA

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’m interested in a 69 coronet rt to purchase.

I’ve confirmed it’s an actual rt by the vin and fendertag.

the fendertag also tells me that it came with a console and bucket seats.

From what I understand, all the rt’s came with buckets only...and that’s easy to change back.

but did they also come with column shifters? Why would someone go through the trouble of switching to column shift on a console car?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Hello everyone,

I’m interested in a 69 coronet rt to purchase.

I’ve confirmed it’s an actual rt by the vin and fendertag.

the fendertag also tells me that it came with a console and bucket seats.

From what I understand, all the rt’s came with buckets only...and that’s easy to change back.

but did they also come with column shifters? Why would someone go through the trouble of switching to column shift on a console car?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Sorry , I should’ve mentioned that this car currently has a column shifter and bench seat.

After all these years and owners, who knows. I would check the body codes which are on the rad support and the trunk lip under the weatherstripping. The numbers should be the last eight digits of the VIN. Fender tags and VIN plates are easily swapped.

Compare the VIN stamping on the radiator support & the trunk lip... If they match then look further...

Bucket seats would have extra seat mounting holes inboard near the drive shaft...

And a console shift should have a hole in the side of the trans hump for the shifter bell crank to pass through...

My 69 Coronet R/T had a factory automatic column shift. It came with bucket seats and the folding arm rest "Buddy Seat". No Console.

Thanks for the responses guys....

The fender tag matches the vin number on the dash.....but will be checking for vin verification by looking on the sheet metal and other places, as suggested.

Thanks for the clarification that the RT's did in fact come with column shift.

I guess the only other question lingering is if these rt's every came with a bench seat from the factory?

I'm from BC and the car is in another province so I'm having the car inspected by an appraisal company, the inspector also happens to love and own mopars, so that's a plus.

It seems odd that someone would remove the floor shift bucket seats and console brackets, and then install a bench seat and column shift. Not impossible of course, but odd. As stated above, check the car carefully.

I agree, it's odd. The inspector has already left there, I didn't get him to check the holes for the seats or the hump. He did confirm the vin number is on the rad support. I may ask the owner to take some pics of the undercarriage to show me the extra holes.

So just to make sure, there should be 4 holes on driver's side and 4 on passenger side, if it indeed did come with buckets.

And, check for the hole in the hump for the shifter mechanism.

thanks again guys.....as much as I like the 71-74 fuselage b bodies, I have a particular sweet spot for the 60 b bodies.

The holes for the seats and the shifter as circled....
IMG_0063 with circle.jpg
IMG_0046 with circle.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys....

The fender tag matches the vin number on the dash.....but will be checking for vin verification by looking on the sheet metal and other places, as suggested.

Thanks for the clarification that the RT's did in fact come with column shift.

I guess the only other question lingering is if these rt's every came with a bench seat from the factory?

I'm from BC and the car is in another province so I'm having the car inspected by an appraisal company, the inspector also happens to love and own mopars, so that's a plus.

Bucket seats were standard and the only available seating options in the R/T. Bench seat not available.

A column shift automatic was standard. The shifter was moved to the floor when the console was ordered. The Hamtramck Historical library has a lot of info you are looking for. check out the data books and the salesman's pocket books.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

If you can, post a picture of the tag. It could be a bad tag.

Let me know if I can help in any other way. I know a little about the 69 R/Ts....

Bucket seats were standard and the only available seating options in the R/T. Bench seat not available.

A column shift automatic was standard. The shifter was moved to the floor when the console was ordered. The Hamtramck Historical library has a lot of info you are looking for. check out the data books and the salesman's pocket books.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

If you can, post a picture of the tag. It could be a bad tag.

Let me know if I can help in any other way. I know a little about the 69 R/Ts....

This is very useful information, thank you very much. Here’s a pic of the fender tag.
488C9817-2C2F-45FB-A5A8-A4B181985034.jpeg

Fender tag indicates it originally was a bucket seats and console car. C16 for console and C55 for bucket seats. Who knows what has happened to the car over 50 years.

Fender tag indicates it originally was a bucket seats and console car. C16 for console and C55 for bucket seats. Who knows what has happened to the car over 50 years.

I was reading an older thread on this forum that 150 sweep speedometer was standard and rally was optional.
1. This car has a 120mph Sweep, but according to this pic from hamtramck, they could’ve come with this from the factory.
2. The inspector confirmed the vin on the rad support but didn’t look on the trunk seal.
Is the rad support welded onto the frame or bolted on? I’m wanting to make sure that this is an rt w/o having checked the trunk seal. The vin on the dash matches with tag and rad mount. Can this be enough verification?

6A285F7F-F64A-47E8-927B-3F21CF8734EE.jpeg

The car originally would have had 150 mph dash. Correct,that sweep was standard and rallye was optional. Radiator support is welded on, so not a quick easy swap.

The car originally would have had 150 mph dash. Correct,that sweep was standard and rallye was optional. Radiator support is welded on, so not a quick easy swap.

Thanks for all the help guys, I’m going to pass on this one, it is in fact an rt but it is also a mix match of parts.

You have to look at the overall picture, and I see red flags. Body codes do get cut out and re welded into other cars. You have to spend a lot of time going over a car , especially if you want a numbers car. Finding original paint beneath under coating to see if it matches the fender tag, correct equipment installed etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back