• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet speedometer fuped uck!

R/T

Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
My speedometer goes crazy above 40 mph, needle goes haywire along with loud winding sound, it has been dormant for over 30 years, can i fix this? will it fix itself if I drive it that way?

If it is slamming into the stops you can damage it. Try lubing the cable first. Some have had luck spraying some lube into the where the cable plugs in, there is also a plastic bushing in the head that dries out and splits. Need to have a speedometer shop repair that. I use Dick's Speedometer in Tempe Az. About $180 to rebuild and calibrate it.

Back in the day we would disconnect at dash, slide cable out and roll it up and soak it in ATF in a coffee can over night. Worked a lot of time.

Lubing cables often works for a very short period of time. Then the problem reoccurres. If it’s an original cable it would definitely need replaced. You can lube, but more times than not. The cables break inside the housing due to wear, age and rust. This causes erratic needle behavior. It helps to lube or grease the speedo also. Replacomg the cable prevents having to deal with the problem for a long time. It’s worth buying and installed one to avoid wrestling with the dash more than once.

Auto Transport Service
Back