• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Dodge Super Bee - Mod Top?

Magnes

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little help from anyone who might have some experience with the 1969 Lynch Rd fender tags...

My buddy has had the car that this fender tag goes to since the early 80's. It's just a photo copy of the tag, which is hard to read, so the codes are written above the tag. I covered the last 3 of the VIN out of respect.

He thinks this car could be one of the very rare 1969 Mod Top Dodge Super Bee hardtops. When he got the car it had a black top, but a few years later when he started prepping it for a repaint, he pulled that black top off and found some strange material along the edges. He started researching it and found that there were 28 mod top Super Bees made in '69 and there's very few of those still around. From everything I've found, the mod top code would have been a "V1H", this tag has a "1H" code, but these Lynch Rd tags are pretty strange so I was hoping to get someone who REALLY knows to take a look at it.

2lt1o5g.jpg

Found this old article in a mag. Not his car.

2rgghmx.jpg

Any ideas?

The VIN is the top line number 9A240299. You covered the VON number.
Govier's 69 Super Bee Options and Accessories report show ~26 '69 Bees with the mod top.

The tag is hard to read to confirm the code. Did you check it from the back?

Haha, see... I know squat about these particular tags.

And yes, the codes written above the photo copy of the tag are accurate. It's hard to read them from the copy, but easy to read from the actual tag. I didn't want to take the tag, so I just took a copy.

Haha, see... I know squat about these particular tags......I was hoping to get someone who REALLY knows to take a look at it.

IF, and this is a big IF... this is a V1H car, then I would strongly suggest finding someone that does really know LR tags to take a look at the tag in person OR get a better picture of the front and back of the actual tag to confirm it.

Until then you are asking people to confirm something pretty significant they cannot verify from the actual tag or a clear picture. You are asking us to weigh in on only what someone else has interpreted it to be.

Have you found a broadcast sheet in the car?

I can understand the skepticism because of the rarity of the option but the fender tag IS as described. I'm not trying to "hold someone over the barrel" here. I'm just trying to confirm that a "1H" code on a LR tag means "V1H" because this tag DEFINITELY says "1H" in the position where a vinyl top code would be on a typical fender tag. There is no doubt about that. The only issue I have is that this is a LR tag and they coded things weird there for a while. So that's why I posted this here, in hope that a member here could look at it and say "yes, LR tags coded the vinyl tops in a single letter single number code in that position". That's all I need really.

I know the photo copy IS sketchy and hard to read but I copied it off the actual tag and then wrote down what the actual tag has on it, NOT what I INTERPRETED the COPY to say. I will see if I can get an actual photo of the tag. I wasn't originally going to post anything about it... It was only when I ran into a lack of information about the LR tags that I decided to ask here.

I didn't even ask about the broadcast sheet. I'll check into that. Good call there. Thank you for the help 69Coronetrt

I would say yes. The v is rather redundant. Anything in that position would start with V. Its the other number and letter that are important. The car is the right color. And there were remnants of an old top found.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mooresmopars.com/modregistry.html

Interestingly, on dodge cars, they are called floral tops. Not mod tops.

Very interesting find, love the car regardless of what color the top was. What kind of shape is the car in?

I would say yes. The v is rather redundant. Anything in that position would start with V. Its the other number and letter that are important. The car is the right color. And there were remnants of an old top found.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mooresmopars.com/modregistry.html

Interestingly, on dodge cars, they are called floral tops. Not mod tops.

That's what I thought as well. I just wanted to get other opinions. I checked out that site and they had some info but nothing about the LR code. I did see that he gives reference to a company that (at least in 2008) had the vinyl material necessary to re-cover the top. I'm passing that on to the owner because he was under the impression that he might not ever be able to put the top back on the car and return it to the original configuration.

Very interesting find, love the car regardless of what color the top was. What kind of shape is the car in?

mufiv.jpg

He had the car taken to bare metal and repainted the original green, then some reassembly started, but the restoration stalled because he didn't know what to do about the top.

I'm hoping we can find that material and put the car back to original, as it should be, since I believe it's probably one of the rarest Super Bee's out there. It's going to be a BEAUTIFUL car.

I will do my best to break this down for you. If I have anything wrong, please chime in. If you have access to the build sheet, I would really like to see it. Hope this helps.

D

VIN WM23H9A240299

W…… Dodge Coronet
M…… Medium Price Class
23….. 2 Door Hardtop
H…… 383 Engine
9……. 1969 Model Year
A……. Lynch Road Assembly Plant – Detroit Michigan
240299..Build Sequence Number, 140299th 1969 vehicle built at this plant in this production year.

Fender Tag Decode

Line 6 10128 240116 9A240299
Line 5 925 593 603
Line 4
Line 3 1H 8X N96
Line 2 F6 F6 H2X X9
Line 1 WM23 E63 D21 313 396XXX

Line 6: 10 – 2 digit gate number.
128 – 28th car through gate 10 that production day.
240116 – Line sequence number. 140116th car to enter the BIW (body in white area) that production year.

9 – Model Year 1969
A – Lynch Road assembly plant, Detroit Michigan
240299 – Build sequence number, 140299th 1969 vehicle built at this plant in this production year. (Serial Number)

Line 5: 925 – Engine code, 383 with Manual Transmission
593 – Rear axle assembly code, 8.75" with 3.23 gears, open rear end, 11" drum brakes
603 – Transmission code – A833 4 speed 23 spline w/11” clutch

Line 4:

Line 3: 1H - Vinyl top, Green floral
8X – Black tail (Bumblebee) stripe
N96 - Fresh air hood

Line 2: F6 – Body paint code (Bright Green Metallic)
F6 – Roof paint code (Bright Green Metallic)
H2X – Trim-High, Vinyl bench seat, Black
X9 – Upper door frame paint color, Black

Line 1: WM23 – Car line (See VIN decode)
E63 – 383 4BBL engine
D21 – 4 speed transmission
313 – Scheduled production date (March 13, 1969 Thursday)
396XXX – Vehicle order number

Well there you go. It appears your friend has a bee with a super rare and very interesting option. Thats cool

Wow. Two months later, my ride rolled down that same line! Don't know about door 10 though. This is a great and informative thread. Who knew? We need to remember and share this history.

I will do my best to break this down for you. If I have anything wrong, please chime in. If you have access to the build sheet, I would really like to see it. Hope this helps.

D

VIN WM23H9A240299

W…… Dodge Coronet
M…… Medium Price Class
23….. 2 Door Hardtop
H…… 383 Engine
9……. 1969 Model Year
A……. Lynch Road Assembly Plant – Detroit Michigan
240299..Build Sequence Number, 140299th 1969 vehicle built at this plant in this production year.

Fender Tag Decode

Line 6 10128 240116 9A240299
Line 5 925 593 603
Line 4
Line 3 1H 8X N96
Line 2 F6 F6 H2X X9
Line 1 WM23 E63 D21 313 396XXX

Line 6: 10 – 2 digit gate number.
128 – 28th car through gate 10 that production day.
240116 – Line sequence number. 140116th car to enter the BIW (body in white area) that production year.

9 – Model Year 1969
A – Lynch Road assembly plant, Detroit Michigan
240299 – Build sequence number, 140299th 1969 vehicle built at this plant in this production year. (Serial Number)

Line 5: 925 – Engine code, 383 with Manual Transmission
593 – Rear axle assembly code, 8.75" with 3.23 gears, open rear end, 11" drum brakes
603 – Transmission code – A833 4 speed 23 spline w/11” clutch

Line 4:

Line 3: 1H - Vinyl top, Green floral
8X – Black tail (Bumblebee) stripe
N96 - Fresh air hood

Line 2: F6 – Body paint code (Bright Green Metallic)
F6 – Roof paint code (Bright Green Metallic)
H2X – Trim-High, Vinyl bench seat, Black
X9 – Upper door frame paint color, Black

Line 1: WM23 – Car line (See VIN decode)
E63 – 383 4BBL engine
D21 – 4 speed transmission
313 – Scheduled production date (March 13, 1969 Thursday)
396XXX – Vehicle order number

WOW! That is an excellent breakdown of the fender tag. I cannot thank you enough for that information. I will copy that and give it to my buddy and I am sure he will be very thankful. I really appreciate the help.

D

Nice job. One item...

The VIN is administrative. It has nothing to do with production. So the VIN does not tell you the XXXXXXth car produced.

This would be the 140,298th VIN assigned. (240,299 - 1000001)

Nice job. One item...

The VIN is administrative. It has nothing to do with production. So the VIN does not tell you the XXXXXXth car produced.

This would be the 140,298th VIN assigned. (240,299 - 1000001)

I never understood the -1 VIN assigned statements. The 1st VIN assigned was 100001 at all plants, so the 140299th would be the 140299th? Is there not a car out there with the VIN of 100001 from each plant?

Not to high jack the thread, but what is the latest VIN that anyone has seen from Lynch Road? I have seen 3099XX but have heard of cars deep into the 31XXXX. If you have the tag, please include the BIW number. Some interesting BIW numbers start showing up in the late VIN ranges of Lynch Road cars.

D

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Magnes,

Are you the overseas buyer on Fast & Loud?

D

Not to high jack the thread, but what is the latest VIN that anyone has seen from Lynch Road? I have seen 3099XX but have heard of cars deep into the 31XXXX. If you have the tag, please include the BIW number.

D

The latest I've seen from 69 LR is 3137** with an SPD of 711

Hey Magnes sent you a PM

Auto Transport Service
Back