• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 GTX Bayou Green Interior Paint - Where to Buy??

Jack Luckhowec

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
Need help finding modern paint to replicate the original "suade" look on my 69 GTX dash and steering column.

I went to my local auto body supply armed with the original PPG / Ditzler code 43925. He was not able to cross reference to any of the new paint products.

Does anyone have a paint recommendation or mixing specs to replicate??

Thanks,

Jack

PXL_20201225_012012720.jpg

It was available from Performance Car Graphics but not sure about now that Dave has passed. I know he told me that he used a textured paint as a base to get the correct texture before applying the color.

Try the R-M number for Bayou Green Metallic 169Y30

Last edited:
Thanks Ray. Did you use a base to get the texture or is that incorporated in the paint?

Ordered some of the suede finish paint today from Chaz. Curious how the texture is going to lay out. Will update when it gets here. Seems to be a very knowledgeable guy and he knows his product line.

Ordered some of the suede finish paint today from Chaz. Curious how the texture is going to lay out. Will update when it gets here. Seems to be a very knowledgeable guy and he knows his product line.
How did it work out? Got any pictures? Thank you

Ordered some of the suede finish paint today from Chaz.

How much did you have to buy? Cost ??

Any shop that still sells lacquer should be able to match the code since that's what the code was for. But any other type of paint would basically require someone guessing at the formula.

I haven't seen it lately - although there seem to be shortages of spray bombs everywhere - but the Rustoleum Textured spray bombs are an exact match to the black suede on my '69 RR (some will argue this point). Regardless, everything layed down nicely EXCEPT for the large top surface - I just couldn't get a consistent surface with the spray bomb. It "may" have had something to do with painting it outdoors in the sunlight and being a warm day.

One piece of advice would be to lay down a color matched basecoat without the sued additive and then shoot a final coat with the suede additive. The original finish is not terribly coarse BUT if you try to get full color coverage with just the suede product it will be much coarser than original.

Last edited:
How much did you have to buy? Cost ??

Any shop that still sells lacquer should be able to match the code since that's what the code was for. But any other type of paint would basically require someone guessing at the formula.

I haven't seen it lately - although there seem to be shortages of spray bombs everywhere - but the Rustoleum Textured spray bombs are an exact match to the black suede on my '69 RR (some will argue this point). Regardless, everything layed down nicely EXCEPT for the large top surface - I just couldn't get a consistent surface with the spray bomb. It "may" have had something to do with painting it outdoors in the sunlight and being a warm day.

One piece of advice would be to lay down a color matched basecoat without the sued additive and then shoot a final coat with the suede additive. The original finish is not terribly coarse BUT if you try to get full color coverage with just the suede product it will be much coarser than original.
Good advice. Sucks you couldn't get the top part of the dash to look as good as you wanted. Was that part flat/horizontal during paint? I've never sprayed it, but I'm guessing the orientation might change things. I've never heard of a Rustoleum Textured spray bomb. What's a "spray bomb"? LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back