• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 GTX pinstripe question.....

resq302

Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
Was the pin stripe on the blacked out area on 1969 GTX's a reflective stripe? I've heard that the white was while the red was not. Our car has the red stripe on it and from talking to the third owner, that stripe was never removed and does not appear to have ever been messed with. The red stripe that is currently on the car is NOT reflective either. Would any one know what the original thickness of the pin stripe was? Also, any confirmation if they were reflective or not would be appreciated as we are getting ready to repaint the lower blacked out area on the GTX.

Thanks,

Brian

According to my book, it was originally a piece of 3M reflective tape, either red or white.

The book I referenced that off of was the Paul Herd "Charger, Roadrunner, SuperBee Restoration Guide". I have a few books books I reference off of and if I am in doubt ever, I always come here. And just to make clear, that is the thin stripe I am talking about, not the stripe molding in case there was any confusion there.

Correct, this is the thin approx. 1/8" stripe just below the body molding and in the blacked out area on the bottom of the car. (as seen here)

DSCF2379.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

more pics.

102_5335.jpg

102_5334.jpg

Here is the page from the book. Someone can correct me if this wrong. Disregard the pic of the 70 GTX, haha.

image.jpg

I purchased that book when I got my 1969 Charger and it was kind of a disappointment. There are a LOT of inaccurate things in the book so I do not hold too much weight with it. Granted, there is a lot of interesting information in it but I would not refer to it as law.

No, I definitely do not refer to it as law, haha. There are not a lot of books I do unless they came straight from Plymouth. I just use them as a guide to get my research started and then go from there. Not sure what I would do without the internet.

The main reason I thought that statement from the book might of held some truth to it was from looking at this car. But then again, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/GTX-CELLENT/GTX-CELLENT.html

I used 3M reflective tape on my 69 as mentioned in the above book excerpt. It's still available at paint shops under the name Scotchcal striping tape and is 1/4" wide. My car came with white stripes, but I know it's available in red also. It is the same material sold by vendors, only much cheaper by the roll. It looks correct, but I can't 100% vouch for its authenticity.

So does the white have a silver reflective appearance and white when it is not reflective? I'm sanding down the lower blacked out areas now and am now finding pieces of the original white pin stripe in the edges of the car. I have found Scotchcal as white/silver.

The Scotchcal I used is part no. 79901, which they refer to as white (slvr). It has a very slight silver tint when not lit, but reflective white when lit. It appeared to be exactly the same as sold in kit form by vendors.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add that the reason I know it's the same as sold by vendors, is that I had bought such a kit when finishing up my GTX. It came in premeasured strips without application instructions, so I called to find out if there was any trick to installing them. They told me to wet the surface with water, then apply. I was hesitant, but followed their advice. Some pieces wouldn't stick, so after much hassle I was able to send them back for a refund. So, just follow the instructions on the Scotchcal package, and don't use water.

Auto Transport Service
Back