• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 gtx running issues

joeb73

Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
1969 GTX 44o 4 speed (was setting over 15 years)
unknown cam
duel point distributer
new fuel tank, pick-up rubber lines, carter asv rebuilt.
new protonix 2 conversion with matching coil, cap and rotor, resistor by passes,(full 12 volts)
issues
when cold will not start without starting fluid.
the date correct carted ASV is set: right idle screw has to be backed out 4 turns well the left one is 2 1/2 turns highest vacuum 21
has hesitation,stumbles in idle and right off on idle. then smooths out.
when the vacuum line to distributor is disconnected smooths out and idles alot better. sucked on vaccum line no leaks found. vacuum advance is the nonadjustable type since i could not find a wench to fit it.
as for timing i have no idea since i dont see the mark with or with out the vacuum line connected. set timing by ear until it wont ping at higher RPM's. yes it gutted the power.
the late owner had a new 750 edelbrock that looks like he installed long enough it for testing and is spotless in side. i was thinking of trying it to see if it makes a difference.
now for the question
with so many tuning issues, where would you start. i hate throwing parts at any problem with out trouble shooting. plus i spent all my cash on buying the car :)

I would put the other carb on , fill it up with chevron premium with some Klotz additive and turn the advance back up and take it for a spin

i have found if an edelbrock sits dry, the rubber on the accelerator pump plunger shrinks and will not squirt...... after sitting in fuel it will swell up and function properly.......this makes for difficult cold starting

Last edited:
What have you got for accelerator pump shot and a choke?

what is the plug gap?

Sounds like ignition can be ruled out.

Have you tried various choke settings to see if it likes more or less choke?

Funny this topic came up now, as I just got through trying another choke setting on my Edelbrock 750 not 10 minutes ago.

You have a lot going on. I would get ignition squared away first. Not knowing what the timing is would be a problem for me. Verify firing order, plug condition, etc.
Choke operation and pump shot would be at the top of the list too.
I was always told ignition before carb tuning.

^^^1, plus it sounds like carb is partially plugged up. Rebuild it AND blow out every hole/port there is before re-assembly.

thank you everyone for your suggestions,the carter asv carb was cleaned and rebuilt. but that doesn't mean i didn't miss something, i'm getting a really good stream from the accelerator pump. and i have tried several choke settings. the plug gap is .035. and i'm running 94 pump gas
since every one suggested carb first i will see if i can factory chock and and chock pull off to mount to the edelbrock asv 750. since the model uses a chock cable

7C3D82C5-2590-4821-9B72-CB53C49C42B5.png
783E4F2E-E1AE-4E08-B01E-627B5FB58523.png
AFF5CC6B-A1AB-4738-B0EA-BA196CF8181D.png
I was having all those little issues, I put a high rise intake a new edelbrock 800 and a manual choke cable
Now I pump the throttle twice while I’m pulling out the choke, hit the key and it fires right up, back the choke off while it’s warming up and go
Glad I did it

where do you have the cable going threw the fire wall and where did you find the chock knob at? i didnt know they had a factory manual chock

the 68 roadrunner with a hemi came with manual choke found it on line , cant remember where exactly but was inexpensive and I put hole about 3/8 inch with a rubber grommet , the factory placement was too hard to get to covered by the heater box and would put a bind on the cable I put it through the slanted part a little below the wiper motor , I cant get you a pic right now my car is at my other house 90 miles away, I'm going up this weekend and will try to remember to take a picture for you

thank you !! i was hoping for a factory location since i really hate to drill into a body because the late owner tried to make everything as correct as possible. thats the same reason i have not added a TAC yet. i will bee if i can find a hole near the heater box where there might have been one added years ago. thank you for the pictures it helped alot.

the 68 roadrunner with a hemi came with manual choke found it on line , cant remember where exactly but was inexpensive and I put hole about 3/8 inch with a rubber grommet , the factory placement was too hard to get to covered by the heater box and would put a bind on the cable I put it through the slanted part a little below the wiper motor , I cant get you a pic right now my car is at my other house
No it didn’t. A 1968 hemi roadrunner came with an automatic choke. There is no cable Coming through the firewall. The factory service manual will show the thermostatic choke on the side of the rear carb. Also the choke heat tubes and flapper valve in the exhaust manifold.

Why are you spreading false information here? Or do you just not know this?

The first and only street hemi with a manual choke cable was all 1971 street hemi cars.

where do you have the cable going threw the fire wall and where did you find the chock knob at? i didnt know they had a factory manual chock
The only factory manual choke I’m aware of was 62-64 max wedge and 1971 street hemi. Never on a single 4bbl or 2bbl Passenger car. Can you imagine all the Warranty problems with all the idiots trying to get their car started.

LOL yes i can. i was trying to remove the choke linkage from the carter and i think they must have used locktite or something on it. i have tried everything to get it broke loose so i could see if it would fit the eddy carb.

No it didn’t. A 1968 hemi roadrunner came with an automatic choke. There is no cable Coming through the firewall. The factory service manual will show the thermostatic choke on the side of the rear carb. Also the choke heat tubes and flapper valve in the exhaust manifold.

Why are you spreading false information here? Or do you just not know this?

The first and only street hemi with a manual choke cable was all 1971 street hemi cars.
I READ IT HERE AND SAW THE PICS

Look in a Factory service manual and it shows the Automatic choke in there. 426 street hemi automatic choke.

C467A48E-CEE8-4DB5-AAE3-6DAA15020F13.jpeg 80C81F31-3FB2-4381-81C5-00326CC08F24.jpeg 8B27BCE4-91AC-4624-A651-EB40A34147F0.jpeg

Last edited:
i will have to do research on it to see if i can find the parts and also how the heat tube hooks up. thank you for looking it up for me!

i will have to do research on it to see if i can find the parts and also how the heat tube hooks up. thank you for looking it up for me!
Sorry to get off track, that info and photo I posted above is for the 426 street hemi only.

Your 440 GTX With the AVS would have a choke thermostat bolted to the intake manifold and a choke vacuum diaphragm on the carb, which partially opens the choke when the engine starts. Common name is a choke pull off.
I have drawn a Yellow line to where the choke rod connects to the carburetor.

the engine posted is a 1970 but same hook up and choke diaphragm

8718895E-757E-471B-9B38-BF41936ABAA6.jpeg 8ADEC39A-3B6F-40EA-A268-2D7A53EEC082.jpeg 6C78F81E-3212-4CC5-9C6B-0785B482AA1B.jpeg

Last edited:
thats the piece i have been trying to loosen so i could put it on an eddy carb. they must have used locktite on it because the retaining screw will not loosen. by any chance do you know if its left handed threads like some lug nuts? :)

Auto Transport Service
Back