• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 plymouth cranks no start

ike61

Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Howdy. My buddy has a 69 road runner 383, points ignition, 4 speed. A few weeks back he drove to town and after pumping gas the car would crank, but wouldnt start. He tried push starting it and it fired right up. Today he came over and it wouldnt start again after sitting about a half hour. For the hell i jumped the two wires on the starter relay and it started. Any ideas?

Ignition switch bad?
Possibly bulkhead issue?

Starter circuitry maybe, check out the wiring connections and condition of them would be my 1st checking..

I thought about that, but he would not be able to jump at the relay then with success would he??
Yeah could be; but thinking just offhand he's got a 'working' starter and then has spark firing up engine, so would think somewhere along the starter circuitry. Someone here I'm sure will know the likely problem. Last time I had a problem was an engine 'start' but no run - ended up being a bad connection at the BH after checking the ignition switch and ballast...usually in my travels anyway...push starting a motor is due to not enough voltage to crank the motor or bad starter.

Likely the bulkhead. He has ignition power in the run postion but probably not in the start position.
You can test this by unplugging the starter relay turn the key in both positions run and start and see if you have voltage at the coil.

Plug for steering column, if it's white plastic look for a dark/yellow area.

Start with the basics, check and clean the battery connections and the connections at the starter. Make sure the grounds are clean and good. Then start diagnosing the issue if it still doesn't work, could be the relay, the starter, fusible link, ignition wiring, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back